My application experience (exceptional promise) as a consulting employee - October 2021

I applied for stage 1 on 5th October 2021 and got the endorsement on 23rd October. This forum has really helped/encouraged me to give this a try, so I want to thank everyone who answered my questions and keep the valuable information public in this forum.

I wrote my experience in my blog post, in case someone will find it helpful :slight_smile: Especially, I worked at a consulting company (not a product-led digital technology company) when I applied for the Global Talent visa. If you are in a similar situation, it might be helpful.

If you have any questions, please post any questions in this thread. I am happy to answer :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@921kiyo congrats!

I have a similar profile, but less open source experience so need to showcase the machine learning systems I have developed for working for product oriented startups as a consultant. I see 2 of your LOR were from people at your current company, did that mean Tech nation accepted references from Advanced analytics leaders at QuantumBlack?
I have also done some work building AI products for the product arm of the consultancy, and I am wondering to what extent I should include that? It is hands on machine learning product development bt also dont want to overdo the emphasis on the company that is primarily known for consulting.

This is my application for reference, it would be brilliant if you had a chance to take a look! :slight_smile:

This person may have a similar profile as you but you need to understand that the requirement has changed considerably since he applied. In 2021, there was less focus on your recommenders and the content of the letters, now assessors comment on the strength or weakness of your letters.

@Francisca_Chiedu Thanks a lot for the heads up! Saw a rejection based on letters seeming too generic, so will make sure the letters are as specific about my contributions as possible

1 Like

I think you should tell your story based on your own merit. Avoid vague evidence that do not clearly demonstrate you meet the criteria.

Of course, absolutely!

(apologies for late response) 2 of my LOR were ex-QuantumBlack colleagues who left the company and were senior members of different companies at the time I asked them for recommendation letters. And it worked for me.