Discrepancy on partner's IHS health surcharge

Quick question: Has anyone else who recently submitted a stage 2 GTV application with their spouse or partner noticed their spouse/partner paying quite a bit more IHS for the same visa duration? I’m thinking this must be a glitch in the system.

Details: My NHS fee was charged correctly at £3120 (current fee of £624 for a 5-year visa, sans the separate application processing fee). My partner is applying as a partner dependent on my visa for the same 5-year period. The NHS fee should have been the same, but my partner was prompted to pay £3500 for the healthcare portion - nearly £400 more. (Making the whole visa £4108 for NHS and application fees together.)

To be clear, we entered everything correctly including the expiration date of my visa. I’m thinking this must be a miscalculation, but I’m not sure it’s worth the trouble to try and get the refund. I understand no one can actually advise on this other than the Home Office, but I’d appreciate knowing anecdotally if anyone else had any similar experiences and if you there was anything you did about it? Thanks so much!

That seems accurate. As you can see from here, base fees for applicant is £152, and from here that dependents have to pay £608 for application. The difference should be about £456.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply, though, unfortunately, I’m only referring to the health surcharge, not the application fees. Added together, my partner paid £4108 (£3500 healthcare surcharge plus £608 application fee). The application fee was charged correctly; the healthcare surcharge was not. Appreciate you weighing in :slight_smile:

*I edited my first message to be clearer — I realize the word “fee” wasn’t very specific haha

2 Likes

So, i also faced this issue today while applying for stage 2.

I realized the issue is because of Date of expiry of visa. As recommended on this forum you should put your date of expiry as 5 yrs from the date of your entry.

Assuming my date of entry is 31st Aug 2021, i put 30th Aug 2026 as date of expiry. So it charged me NHS fees for 5.5 yrs instead of 5 yrs. This is because the NHS is calculating NHS service expiry date on the basis of current date and not date of visa expiry as being entered.

IF i put any date till 30th Jun, it is charging me for 5 yrs only.

Considering this is a bug in system as we are not going to get visa for more than 5 yrs (whatever be the starting date of visa and i am applying for 5 yrs). I guess the best way is to write a mail to home office and ask for refund.

During this entire process i found there are few more bugs in system but there was a work around. This one unfortunately doesn’t have a work around.

IT doesnt happen for applicant him/herself because system doesnt ask for expiry date. So, the bug is only for dependants. I ended up paying for 5.5 yrs for both my wife and kid.

5 Likes

@happysoul your post is really informative. So you ended up paying half year’s extra surcharge. How did you get it back? Have you emailed hone office for this or was it automatically reversed to your account/credit card?

Thanks for sharing such an important experience.
Best

Hi @Afrasiab : i am yet to initiate process of refund. I will write to NHS or home office in near future.

@happysoul Wish you all the best

1 Like

@happysoul @dashad could you kindly update us on this issue, is there any workaround, have you got a refund? thanks in advance

1 Like

Guys

I have the same problem, did anyone refund the payment which is extra than main applicant?

Regards,

1 Like

Hi,

I also have the same problem. Could anyone please let me know where to apply for a refund?

Thanks.

1 Like

Folowing this thread also to know the process to apply for a refund!

Following up if anyone got the refund. Thank you

Hi all, would be really nice if some senior member share his/her experience of the procedure for getting refund.

Thanks

Hi all, I called the home office and details of my dependents were taken with the total money paid against the actual fee. I was told it will be addressed within 28 working days, still waiting.

Thanks

1 Like

Dear @Olufemi

Many thanks for your prompt response. Can you share the number where you called to home office?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi, Anybody got the refund? It would be really nice if one can share his/her experience. Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hi,
Has anybody got refund about the above said problem? I see its common issue for all dependants VISA extension, so do we need to contact IHS refund team upfront or it will readjust based on main applicant duration and refund the additional half year charges.
Any response from the people who completed the process is appreciated.

Best Regards
Shyam

HI, I applied for a dependent visa and paid a fee for two dependents around 650 pounds charged extra, seems its a major fault on their site. Please guide me to get a refund.

Paid on : 13/01/2022

Hello @vignesh5599. How did this happen?
Are you talking about the application fee (main: £456 + £152, dependant: £608) or health surcharge (£624 per year per person)?

Hi, anybody got the reimbursement? Waiting for experience of senior members. Thanks