Comment on my application

Hello all,

I will apply for Global Visa and I will be really grateful if you can help me with your prior experiences. I am currently dependent on skilled worker visa and already working in one of tech giants as principle software engineer. I have 12 years of experience on top of MsC in computer science and PhD in information techonology. My MsC was in Turkey and PhD in Netherlands. I am author of 3 journal papers, 2 book chapters and 1 conference paper. I have worked in Sweden for 3.5 years and been working in UK for 2 years now and before that I was working in Turkey as a software engineer.
I think I need to apply for Exceptional talent based on my working and academic experience. In order to demonstrate leading talent in the digital technology in the last 5 years, I am thinking of using two reference letters from my managers at companies in Sweden alongside with my current employment contract. Looking at relevant evidence list, I see that commanding high salary evidence is suggested. I have following two questions here:

1. What are the main achievements do they look for in the reference letters? How much possible confidential data they are looking for in the reference letters? Since I was working in huge commercial companies providing such data might be problematic.
  2. How much salary is deemed to be high salary? What would be the interval for this? Also, how can I tie my story with reference letters and high salary? Seems to be weak connection.
    For optional criteria, I will go for proven track record or examples of innovation in the digital technology sector as an employee working in a digital field or concept for product led digital technology company (OC1) and demonstrate exceptional ability in the field by making academic contributions through research (OC4).
    For OC1, I have a letter from my current company regarding 4 patent filings in US patent office. USPTO has a really slow process which can take 14 months for patent to be published. So it is not visible on Google patent searches. However, the document is signed by the company digitally. I will also provide a reference letter from my manager at my current company.
  3. Do I need to wait for the patents to be published?
  4. Are the number of the patents will be enough for demonstrating proven track record of innovation or do I need other innovations from my prior workplaces as reference letters?
  5. Will four patents + reference letter from my manager be enough evidence for this criteria?
    For OC2, I am thinking to share my google scholar page with all my publications listed. I have 60 citations in total, 3 h-index and 1 i10-index. I am also planning to present my PhD diploma for this criteria.
  6. Will above google scholar page + PhD diploma will be enough?
  7. On top of my google scholar page, can I also share my PhD thesis instead of diploma ? Note that all my thesis are naturally listed in google scholar page.
  8. Do I need a reference letter from my supervisor in PhD?

Thank you very much for all your comments.

It is best to list the evidence you have then we can critique it. The questions you are asking suggests you have not taken a good read of the tech nation guide bread through and list your evidence.

Hi Francisca,
Thank you very much for your response :slight_smile: Here is the list of my documents:
Exceptional Talent
Mandatory Criteria

1. Reference Letter from VP of engineering at Nasdaq (Sweden)
  2. Reference Letter from Senior Engineering Manager at Klarna (Sweden)
  3. Reference Letter from Senior Engineerign Manager at Oracle (United Kingdom)
  4. Employment total compensation for my current role
  5. Employment certificates (Turkey+Sweden)
  6. PhD Diploma

Optional Criteria 1 (Innovation)
7. List of 4 patents I have created at Oracle. Filed in US patent office, it is not publicly available for 1 year due to patent office procedures. (Signed by company)
8. Reference Letters from: my current Director of Engineering (working with 6 months), Senior Director of Data Science (working with 3 months)

Optional Criteria 4 (academic contributions)
9. Google scholar page: 3 journal papers, 2 book chapters and 1 conference paper
10. Reference letter from my professor

only (even if many) reference letters & employment proof is not adequate/strong enough to clear MC.

Thank you very much for your response Priyanka.
I can see that commanding high salary is a suggested evidence, do you know by any chance how much salary is deemed to be enough for MC? Also, do you think PhD evidence supports this criteria ?
If not, what kind of evidence they would be looking for that would clear MC?

Can I use my two book chapters as an example for suggested evidence?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/B9780128166499000120
Looking at below criteria:

• Published material in professional or major trade publications or major media about the applicant related to the applicant’s work in the digital technology sector. You must include the title, date and evidence that you are the author of such published material and any necessary translation.
1 Like

Yes you should include this

1 Like

There’s no such figure to say what is enough. If you can show a parity salary scale that would be good add-on.

Also What exactly are your LORs writing about in their letters for this criteria?

What exactly is the evidence? Just doing a PhD doesn’t strengthen.

I was thinking it as a direct evidence to following statement:
A ‘leader’ of exceptional talent (or promise) must show extraordinary ability by sustained (or emerging) national or international recognition.The individual will be able to demonstrate a level of expertise (or emerging expertise) which places them at the forefront of their respective field in the digital technology sector.
I have Dr. title in the Netherlands (probably in UK and the rest of the Europe), which is form of recognition by a formal body. Also, PhD is the evidence that I demonstrated leading expertise in my area reviewed by the body of committee.

ROF from Nasdaq: significant impact, leadership, high performance
ROF from Klarna: significant impact, leadership, high performance
ROF from Oracle: significant innovation, impact, leadership

You can talk about the projects of significant impact these people are mentioning and create that as an evidence.

1 Like

Should this be part of personal statement then?

Also, do you think my evidence for OC1 and OC4 are enough ?

Part of PS yes! But also part of MC. I am suggesting:

Create this for each project: Self-authored project with significant impact and your contribution to this project ++ relevant support letter ++ any links/diagrams/snapshots relevant to this. This will be Evidence Document 1 for MC.

Essentially do not only use Support letter but combine it with self-authored documents including as much public proof, snapshots, links you can provide.

:smiling_face_with_tear: I am pretty much sure none of these companies would want or let me share confidential data as such :expressionless:
However, i get your point. So reference letters on their own does not mean anything … Would performance reports can support the reference letters in this context ?

You have 3 reference letters - none of them will include any quantified impact?
What do you mean by performance report?

1 Like

Oh, there will be quantified impact in the letters. For instance saying that increasing performance by x% or having impact of x amount of USD revenue and so on. All of them will have quantified data inside.
By performance report, I meant employee performance reviews.

In that case, will you also be adding a self-documented document to detail out what exactly was your contribution, your work, what did you do and show the same impact?

No as a separate document but it will be part of reference letters. Each person knows my contribution and work streams I have worked on also my impact and innovation during my employment. All will be explained to some level of detail where my contributions and impact clear. However, due to the nature of the works, they cannot share the code snippets, architecture diagrams and so on due to security issues.