Will a career break have impact on my application?

Hi All, I have over 7years of experience in the Tech space interconnecting Data Centre between Europe and West Africa. I took a career break to begin a bootcamp and I’m looking to switch careers within the Tech space to doing Cloud Engineering from Network Engineering. Will this have an impact on my chances ?

A career break as in your case does not mean not being in the digital sector. For instance, someone who stops working in paid employment as a UI/UX designer on paternity or maternity but still share their experience on YouTube can technically use their YouTube following for OC2.

What’s important is to demonstrate how you meet the 7 years experience in the tech space. A bootcamp clearly is not alone sufficient. But if for instance, you had to go through rigorous rounds of application to be selected in the bootcamp, then that’s something. And of course, you must show evidence of this rigorous process.

If the bootcamp is also an industry-level one (for instance some of those here), that could also add value to your application.

THE KEY POINT IS TO SHOW THE ASSESSOR HOW ANY EVIDENCE THAT YOU SUBMIT POINTS TO YOU BEING AN EXCEPTIONAL LEADER OR PROMISE.

And NO, taking a break does not impact your chances. TN recognizes work that you have done within a last-five-years span. If you do have a break, your personal statement is one opportunity to make it clear.

1 Like