UI/UX Designer/ Design Tutor Endorsement

Hi Everyone, I recently just came across the Tech nation application for endorsement, and I have few concerns about it before thinking of applying.

I currently work at a Tech education company, where people are taught web development, Data Analyst, UI/UX Design and many more. I’m the lead UI/UX designer at the company, I teach the UI/UX Design course at the academy as well as design products for the developers/ students to work on. I won the Staff of the Year recognition award last year, and I got a salary raise two times after my Probationary period within 10 months of joining the company.

I have designed various digital products for freelance clients and developers at the company, so I have a vast portfolios of products designed by me. I recently started a mentorship program - LET’S GET MENTORED, so as to assist my past students on their continuous learning process into the field

I also previously participated in an international bootcamp organised by a founding body in the United State of America in 2021, where I won various exceptional badge awards recognition.

For my references, I planned on using the following acquaintances:

1. The CEO of the company I currently work for, who is currently based in Canada.
  2. The Founder of the organisation that organised the bootcamp I participated in, who is also the VP, Product design at Trulioo in the U.S.
  3. A Senior Designer I worked with when participating on a project. OR,
  4. The CEO of the Pharmaceutical company I designed an e-commerce product for, which was to enhance sales of their goods.

My major concern is I don’t know if all this can accounts to the criteria evidence needed for the endorsement or how else should I show the evidence aside the awards and badges won.

Thanks in anticipation.

@ask4jubad @dishasanghavi Please help

Hello @Aisha_Akinwumi,

Congratulations on taking the first step on the GT Visa journey.

According to the Tech Nation guide, from a first-level standpoint, you would be eligible under the technical skill Experienced UX/UI designers. So, my recommendation in this regard is to not apply as UI/UX Design Tutor, rather as a UI/UX Designer.

Second, regarding if your achievements count as evidence, I would say it they do but the question remains if they are sufficient.

In addition, note that recommendation and reference with respect to Tech Nation’s guide are different and would ideally serve different purposes. To that, I’d say, you should still use Ref 3 and Ref 4 from the list that you have mentioned (one that can speak to your activities on a more continuous basis for >= 12 months and the other as reference for Optional Criteria 1 or Optional Criteria 3).

So, here’s a proposition regarding how I perceive (not an authoritative evaluation):

Compulsory documents

A. Curriculum Vitae
B.1. LOR1 - The CEO of the company I currently work for, who is currently based in Canada.
B.2. LOR2 The Founder of the organisation that organised the bootcamp I participated in, who is also the VP, Product design at Trulioo in the U.S.
B.3. LOR 3 The CEO of the Pharmaceutical company I designed an e-commerce product for, which was to enhance sales of their goods.

Mandatory Criteria

C.1. Reference from Senior Designer I worked with when participating on a project
C.2. Proof of 2 times salary increase and current “high” salary proof.
C.3. Recognitions at bootcamp
C.4. Staff of the year award
C.5. Strong academic achievements (if available)

Optional Criteria 1 or 3

(this depends if you want to show impact of innovation - I would want to believe your work as tutor is more impact related and so OC3 should apply)
C.6. (Preferably) another letter from CTO of current work place describing work as a lead designer and tutor
C.7. Sample of projects/designs especially those that have been deployed in a live environment (e.g. e-commerce product in B.3.)

Use C.1. again here

Optional Criteria 2

C.8. LET’S GET MENTORED (what about? who benefits? how many people have benefited? etc.)
C.9. Create additional document identifying students that you have helped and are now doing fine on their own.

Use C.3. again

I hope this gives a bit of perspective. In general, always note that the assessors may be looking for something different from what you intend to portray. So, be sure to look through the forum and see how people have gathered their evidences. You can then frame yours accordingly.

This example here really goes deep into the topic (although they applied as a leader):

1 Like

What is the product of the company you work for? How is the company product -led?
For the mandatory criteria in the internal company award does not count. It is clearly stated in the tech nation guide. You may use it to prove OC3 to demonstrate your impact in the company. Salary evidence is not sufficient, what other evidence do you have to show that you have been recognised as a promising talent. Don’t forget that the evidence is to show that you have the potential to become a leader in the sector, how does your evidence prove this?

Your freelance designs may be considered as consultancy or outsourcing. Outsourcing and consultancy are also not eligible. For the get mentored programme, you need to demonstrate that it is a structured program besides this is done as part of your immediate employment so it may not meet the optional criteria 2.

When you say you participated in a bootcamp what do you mean? Were you a student in the bootcamp? Was it a startup bootcamp? What were you recognised for?

Overall, I think you still need to read the tech nation guide as the evidence provided suggests that you have missed some key elements of the guide which may impact your application.

2 Likes