Software Engineer seeking Review: Exceptional Promise

Hello All, Hope you’re well. I’m Bayo. I’ve prepped my evidence for exceptional promise endorsement. Appreciate if provide any suggestions or feedback. @pahuja @Francisca_Chiedu @hsafra @ellagna

These are my evidences.
CV
Personal statement

LORs:

1. Letter from the CEO of a fintech company (over 10 years exp. in tech)
  2. Letter from the CEO of a Education Company(also Global Talent) managed me formerly as a Senior Product manager
  3. Letter from the Founder and former CEO of recent company(got acquired)
    (all docusigned)

MC

1. Technical contribution #1 at recent company
  2. Online Publications/Articles (showed top articles. Appearance on google search with more than 12k reads. Screenshots of technical writing offers for other companies)
  3. Remuneration proof (compared on Glassdoor and pay scale) compared to my region (with screenshots of payslips/contract)
  4. Volunteering & talks: Volunteered as facilitator and technical lead at two different NGOs. I taught kids how to for first programs and Worked as a Backend Lead for second.(evidence with pictures teaching and media mentions of NGO). Spoke at an open source event in Africa attached YT link.

OC2

1. Mentorship through Opensource Contribution (showed proof on yearly mentorship through open source since 2021/ public code on Github and Whatsapp screenshot showing conversations and meetings)
  2. Open source Contribution on Github (Big projects like React Documentation(10k stars), company-funded and some personal successful projects)
  3. StackOverflow Evidence( Show screenshots of badges, over 60k people reached profile and answers)

OC3

1. Reference letter from Head of Engineering discussing impact on product (docusigned)
  2. Technical contribution #2 at recent company on another team within company (showing screenshot with impact on growth i.e DAU/MAU, revenue, live screenshot of product and code contributions)
  3. Technical contribution #3 at fintech company (with screenshots showing code reviews, contributions and media mentions of product, screenshots of award won as employee twice)

Thank you for your time.

1 Like

Hi @adeileri Good first draft!

LORs

• Look good from titles, ensure the content highlights your significant contributions and capability in tech sector

MC

• The technical contribution document: Will this be supported by support letter? What external proofs will you have in addition to self-documentation?
  • where are the articles published?
  • how did your volunteering lead to growth of the NGO? Can you get a support letter here?

OC2

• Mentorship needs to be part of a structured program with selection.

OC3

• any external links of the product? Do the media mentions have your name?
  • does the reference letter talk about contribution to both #2 and #3 included in this criteria?
  • what’s the validation of #2 beyond self documentation?
1 Like

Hey @pahuja, I appreciate you taking your time for this.
LORs

• Yes, it covers my direct contributions and capabilities.

MC

• CEO & H.O.E from recent company mentions it in recommendation & reference(in OC3) letter and I shared media mentions to acquisition which he mentioned i contributed directly to the success of.
  • https://dev.to/ a top and popular developer site. I’ve been publishing here since 2021
  • Yes, however, One of the NGO is not functional since COVID(as it’s state-sponsored). I’ll see if i can get a support letter for the second.

OC2

• It is through a program and selection.I added Github organisation link showing me as member, my contributions and mentorship through code reviews. Do I need a letter for this?

OC3

• Yes, I added product links & screenshots positive code feedback and contribution. No, the media mention doesn’t have my name just product. However, the CEO of fintech company discusses similar contributions i.e (T.C #3) in the letter.
  • The reference letter talks about contribution to #2(recent company) only.
  • Should I get a reference letter for #3?
1 Like

OC2: If you are able to demonstrate a consistent track record of mentoring and recognition for your personal contribution then you don’t need a support letter here

OC3: Optional to get reference letter for #3. If you can then perhaps you can get a short 1 pager that can be attached to your #3 evidence document of 3 pages. Might be beneficial.

1 Like

Thank you. This is useful feedback. I’ll work on it.

1 Like

Whatsapp screenshots will weaken your case. Any mentorship should be through official programme. I would rather associate this as open source contribution and look towards adding a letter from stakeholders.

1 Like

@reachusama Does it make a difference if it’s not a direct chat screenshot but instead a group channel It’s where most communication with mentees was done in the program.

As long as it’s a program and you have provided sufficient evidence to proof it was a program- I think Whatsapp Channel for communication should be fine.

2 Likes

In MC they are looking for leadership evidence. So highlight leadership in any technical contribution.

Publications should be in well reputed journals and articles, and you need to provide reason how they establish you as a leader.

How volunteering signifies your leadership? What duties/responsibilities/leadership?

1 Like

You mandatory criteria looks weak. I think you should move your opensource contribution to mandatory criteria to strengthen it

For OC2 do you have evidence of the selection process for mentors, email accepting your mentorship, platform used for the program, WhatsApp is not too strong, a reference from the organisation confirming you are a mentor, why you were selected and that it is a structured mentorship programme

1 Like

I’ve moved mentorship open-source contribution to MC now but as technical contribution/leadership in open source taking @reachusama advice because I’m unable to get letters /soft documents from program leaders asides Whatsapp evidence but I am able to show public Github contributions through leading the program.

Here’s the updated evidences

MC

1. Technical contribution #1 at recent company
  2. Online Publications/Articles (showed top articles. Appearance on google search with more than 12k reads. Screenshots of technical writing offers for other companies)
  3. Remuneration proof (compared on Glass door and pay scale) compared to my region (with screenshots of payslips/contract)
  4. Volunteering & talks: Volunteered as facilitator and technical lead at two different NGOs. I taught kids how to for first programs and Worked as a Backend Lead for second.(evidence with pictures teaching and media mentions of NGO). Spoke at an open source event in Africa attached Youtube link.
  5. Leadership through Open-source Contribution (showed proof on yearly mentorship through open source since 2021/ public code on Github)

OC2

1. Open source Contribution on Github (Big projects like React Documentation(10k stars), company-funded and some personal successful projects)

2. StackOverflow Evidence( Show screenshots of badges, over 60k people reached profile and answers)

OC3: Same as above

I just got endorsed. I appreciate your help refining my application. Thank you @pahuja @Francisca_Chiedu @reachusama

5 Likes

Incredible! Congratulations @adeileri :balloon:

1 Like

Hey @adeileri
when you applied for endorsement and when you get endorsement letter?

1 Like

Congratulations.

How long did your application take before you got a response?

1 Like

Got a response in two weeks, I applied 9th Sept and got endorsed 22nd Sept.