Seeking Advice on Eligibility for UK Global Talent Visa (Exceptional Promise Category)

Hi all,

I’m looking to apply for the Global Talent Visa in the Exceptional Promise Category.

Here’s my resume:

• Code Community Coordinator for an open-source project (1 year)
  • Software Engineer at a company that helps businesses and companies manage/migrate their cloud related services. During my time there I didn’t work on any client projects but was part of the team working on a product that automates the deployment and delivery of software. This product has not yet been released to the public - 1yr 10months
  • I’m currently working as a program organiser for a non-profit that provides remote internships to people from underrepresented groups in tech. My work also involves contributing to the website that is used in managing this program. - 1yr and counting.
  • Internship experience as a Software Engineer (8 months)

Am I eligible to apply for the UK Global Talent Visa? My main concern is with the organization I worked with as a Software Engineer which doesn’t seem like a product-led organisation. Your advice is much appreciated!

Thank you for your time and expertise!

I’m afraid I don’t believe your work experience qualifies. I think TN will deem it a consulting / outsourcing firm and exclude it.

Hi @tosin_fatai Please refer to this Tech Nation guide to check for eligibility: review the Mandatory Criteria and the Optional Criteria if you will be able to demonstrate evidence towards 2 OCs and MC to meet these criteria? That will decide your eligibility.

As a role - software engineer, you are eligible but deeper eligibility and chance of success is bases your work matching the criteria to be able to furnish those evidences.

@pahuja There are only two OCs that seem likely in my case:

• a proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field
  • they have made significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder or employee of a product-led digital technology company

The first one I can prove through my OS contributions and mentorship in programs like GSOC and Outreachy.
The second one is difficult because the company I worked in as a Software Engineer isn’t product led.

In that case you won’t have sufficient evidence to clear the criteria and fulfill the application requirements