Recommendation letter from former line manager

Hi,

I’m collecting evidence for my exceptional promise (technical) endorsement and I have a question related to the recommendation letters. I would really appreciate it if someone could advise me based on their knowledge or experience. For one of my recommendation letters (or reference letter for optional criteria 3), I was going to ask my former line manager who doesn’t work there anymore. Currently, he is a co-founder of a different start-up.

As he was my line manager, I am not sure if I should ask him for the recommendation letter (or reference letter for optional criteria 3). Any advice?

Actually you can have all your answers here:

Thanks, @tim for your response. I read that multiple times however I’m still in doubt. To be specific, for the letters of recommendation, the recommender must be:

• Senior member of their organisation
  • Know your work

My former line manager is a senior member at his current organisation and as he was my line manager, he knows my work.

However, for reference letters, they mentioned that,

Evidence of recognition, such as Reference Letters, provided by an immediate colleague, manager, or friend are not sufficient.

Thanks!

If anyone else is in the same boat, this is what Tech Nation replied to me:

The Immigration Rules for Global Talent specifically request each person who writes a letter for you must be a senior member of their organisation and know your work so they are able to speak credibly about you, and we are unable to advise anything different to the state’s requirements. However, applicants should seek to provide the best references available to them, they should be written by authors who must be familiar with your work and contribution to the digital technology sector and be qualified to assess your claim to be a leader or potential leader in this field.

The Letters of Recommendation must be from organisations that have a long-standing expertise and reputation for being leaders within the Digital Technology sector.

For a more detailed look please see our documents and evidence section in our visa guide: Global Talent Visa | Tech Nation.

Hi @Pratik
if he is at executive level then he can very well write an LoR for you.

What TN is saying basically that it cant be just any supervisor. LOR to be given by CXO/ Executive level positions preferably.

Thats what i understand. Feel free to take inputs from all.

Thanks for your response @happysoul. Actually, now he is a co-founder/ CTO of his startup but he was my line manager in my last company. Also, Tech Nation mentioned the following thing which is further confusing me because his startup was founded in 2020.

The Letters of Recommendation must be from organisations that have a long-standing expertise and reputation for being leaders within the Digital Technology sector.

Well if this is your best shot for this 1 LOR then go ahead. No one can say with confidence that something is right or not. The ony way to find out is by submitting the application.

Hi Pratik, if you are still unsure. I think it is best to get LOR from Executives from know tech-companies. If his startup is relatively new, it may be best to use him as a reference. Do a google search on your referees to see what you can find about them, this may help you assess if they meat Tech Nation standards.

2 Likes