Query regarding Optional criteria -2

Hi everyone, and thanks for this amazing community.

I wish to understand optional criteria -2 as I found the language slightly difficult to interpret in the guide.

I mentor startups, and have done more than 10 so far across the world. The level of mentorship helps them achieve product-market fit, hire talented people and also raise funds. I don’t do this for commercial interest but just because i am a product leader I wish to share my learnings and help them grow. These mentorships are not casual but very structured however not as an accelerator.

Can i use the letters from the founders of these startups as evidence for optional criteria 2?

Will highly appreciate the help.

TN emphasises “structured”. See what the guide says which I am sure you’ve read.

• Evidence of mentorship must be for activity outside the applicant’s organisation or normal course of work duties and excludes mentorship of other commercial organisations as part of a commercial arrangement. Mentorship should be on behalf of a structured programme with selection criteria and is inclusive of non-profit charities and social mentorship programmes. You must be able to demonstrate a consistent track record of mentoring and have received recognition for your personal contribution. Mentoring at a university or a single startup is not sufficient. When mentoring alongside other mentors (for example at a top-tier accelerator) you must have been a senior mentor that may be evidenced through a letter of reference from the programme. Note that simply training a colleague, providing general support or advice, or advising at a company of someone you know is not considered to meet the definition of mentorship.

Letters of Reference alone are not sufficient and should be supported by other evidence.

Here are some key things in the statement above:

1. Mentorship should be on behalf of a structured programme with selection criteria and is inclusive of non-profit charities and social mentorship programmes.
  2. You must be able to demonstrate a consistent track record of mentoring and have received recognition for your personal contribution. Mentoring at a university or a single startup is not sufficient.
  3. Letters of Reference alone are not sufficient and should be supported by other evidence.

So yes you can but the real question is, will it be sufficient based on the guide? You have a track record of mentorship no doubt and you can also get reference letters from the mentees.

Other questions to ask are: Can you strengthen your evidence with a reference letter from “programme organisers”? Do you have pieces of evidence, other than reference letters, to include?

If you decide to go ahead with your plan then you just need to know your stand based on the details of the guide. That’s all I am trying to highlight.

2 Likes