Please review my evidence for UX/UI Designer

Hello! I am a product designer (UX/UI) with 4+ years of experience applying for Exceptional Promise. I currently work in the UK in a product-led tech company and have previously worked in India and Spain.

It would be super helpful if you could provide your valuable feedback/thoughts on my application. :raised_hands:

Current Company - A
Past Company - B, C
Open Source Community - D

1. CV
2. SoP
3. Mandatory Evidence
MC #1 - Led design for 2+ innovative features with positive revenue impact at product-led tech company A with 100 million+ users. Adding screenshots of the mobile app, and press coverage as evidence. The same is supported in my recommendation letters.
MC #2 - Patent for my work at Company B (Second name mentioned is mine)
MC #3 - Speaker at 6 conferences (photos/ screenshots of events with 100+ attendees where I was a speaker/panel guest)
MC#4 - Academic record (Degree from top university/ evidence of low acceptance rate)
MC# 5 - Selection in Google Summer of Code (It’s a prestigious open source program)

4. Optional Evidence #1 - (innovation in product-led tech company)

• Case study of an innovative feature I designed from Company A (different from MC#1, Screenshot of app, product development process, press coverage)
  • Case study of an innovative feature I designed from Company C (Screenshot of app, product development process, press coverage)
  • Work history (Contract with company A with salary & stock, evidence of higher than average salary)
  • Letter of promotion at company A and snippets of peer review

5. Optional Evidence #2 (recognized for my work outside)

• Open source contributions (screenshots of work & related blogs, yearly meetups)
  • Speaker & judge at India’s largest women only hackathon (picture of event/ screenshot of conference website)
  • Mentorship around moving to UK (Screenshots of collaborations with educational pages with more than 500K followers on instagram, panel event, detailed blogs of my experience) - it is non-structured I agree, but it shows impact.
  • My writings (Blog with 6K followers, Published in major publications like HackerNoon, Instagram/Twitter Handles, Newsletter)

6. Recommendation letters
Rec Letter #1 - Director of design at Company A, was part of the hiring committee for me, leads my team and is familiar with my work for 2+ years
Rec Letter #2 - CEO/Founder of open source community I did Google summer of Code, familiar with my work and selected me for my proposal
Rec Letter #3 - Past Manager, Director of design at Company E, won several prestigious awards and press coverage in the UK, hiring manager for 6+ months but familiar with my writing/ mentorship efforts

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

@Francisca_Chiedu @May @alexnk would love your review. Thank you so much!

MC: I think your evidence looks fine, but some of them could also be used in other OC. For instance, MC#1 and MC#2 look like suitable OC1 innovations to me. Perhaps you may keep the leadership and impact to MC, and have the Innovation in OC1, since OC1 does not require showing the impact.

OC1:

• Work history, Letter of promotion, snippets of peer review, you may try to squeeze to 1 evidence if you can to save another piece of evidence for something else more important for OC1:

OC2:

• Some of the open source contributions could work, if you have a relevant field contributed and it is active participation.
  • Mentorship with a non-structured program may not be suitable, but rather just evidence of your continuous contribution overall only. I suspect “detailed blogs of my experience” could potentiall be an added value to under “Published material in professional” under MC, or not. Perhaps you may consider this additionally.

Recommendation letters look fine to me.

Overall, I think if you are applying for an exceptional promise route, this looks like you have a good chance here.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

I have doubts about MC4 & MC5 and how these demonstrate leadership in the digital technology sector. Your evidence needs some restructuring.

I agree with @May

Regarding MC4 and MC5. Perhaps you may add that to your CV just for reference, and to save your space for other evidence, unless you really can demonstrate leadership from it.

Thank you for your feedback @May @alexnk. Based on that, I am thinking of restructuring them like this.

Mandatory Evidence
MC #1 - Led design for 2+ innovative features with positive revenue impact at product-led tech company A with 100 million+ users. Adding screenshots of the mobile app, and press coverage as evidence. The same is supported in my recommendation letters.
MC #2 - Speaker at 6 conferences (photos/ screenshots of events with 100+ attendees where I was a speaker/panel guest)

Optional Evidence #1 - (innovation in product-led tech company)

• Patent in company B
  • Case study of an innovative feature I designed from Company A (different from MC#1, Screenshot of app, product development process, press coverage)
  • Case study of an innovative feature I designed from Company C (Screenshot of app, product development process, press coverage)
  • Work history (Contract with company A with salary & stock, evidence of higher than average salary)
  • Letter of promotion at company A and snippets of peer review

Optional Evidence #2 (recognized for my work outside)

• Open source contributions (screenshots of work & related blogs, yearly meetups)
  • Speaker & judge at India’s largest women only hackathon (picture of event/ screenshot of conference website)
  • Mentorship around moving to UK (Screenshots of collaborations with educational pages with more than 500K followers on instagram, panel event, detailed blogs of my experience) - it is non-structured I agree, but it shows impact.
  • My writings (Blog with 6K followers, Published in major publications like HackerNoon, Instagram/Twitter Handles, Newsletter)

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again, Chhavi.

Hey @designer-london

Have you got any update about your case from Tech Nation?