Please help review: exceptional promise or exceptional talent (AI/ ML research scientist)

Hi, I am a research scientist in AI/ machine learning.

I have worked as a research scientist in one of the AI/ machine learning labs at FAANG for 1 year.

I’m not too sure how I should count the number of years in the field.

I started my Masters in machine learning in 2016, and my PhD in 2018. I graduated from my PhD in 2023. I started working at FAANG as an AI research scientist from end of 2022. I only have been working for a bit more than a year, but I have started my PhD in 2018, and masters even earlier in 2016. Im wondering if this means whether I have 8 / 6 or 1 year of experience in the industry.

In terms of other achievements,

• for papers and citations, I have more than 5000 citations and a h-index > 30.

• I have mentored/ advised more than 10 graduate students (Masters and PhD level).

• I have reviewed or area chaired for ICML, NeurIPS and ICLR. I have also reviewered journal papers, such as Nature papers before.

I would say Im fairly experienced in terms of research, but I have only been working for a bit more than a year. Im not too sure whether I should apply for exceptional promise or exceptional talent.

Any feedbacks or comments welcome, thanks.

@Francisca_Chiedu

1 Like

The mentoring evidence needs to be a structured program. I can’t advice on which track to go for as you need to prove justification for whichever you choose. For exceptional talent, you need to prove your track record in digital technology during the postgraduate years.

Some persons have the impression that postgraduate study period isn’t really “working” so it all depends on how you present your case and the amount of evidence to substantiate this.

1 Like

Since you got your PhD in 2023 you might be eligible for an HPI visa

1 Like

I think you should consider optional criteria 2 and 4.
Frok the look of things you may be eligible under exceptional promise. Have you tried applied for global talent under the field of research?

thanks @May I appreciate your help.

Regarding PhD student advising, I am officially serving as the co-supervisor for three students. Would receiving documentation from the university be considered sufficient proof?

In the context of applying for exceptional talent (as opposed to promise), if the reviewers perceive me as demonstrating exceptional promise instead of talent, would they outright reject the application, or might they consider offering recognition for exceptional promise?

Thanks for your help,

1 Like

Thanks, unfortunately, Google does not count as a research institute, so i cant apply under the field of research.

In the context of applying for exceptional talent (as opposed to promise), if the reviewers perceive me as demonstrating exceptional promise instead of talent, would they outright reject the application, or might they consider offering recognition for exceptional promise?

Thanks again,

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out.

The guide states "Evidence of mentorship must be for activity outside the applicant’s organisation or normal course of work duties " - I understand that to mean that supervising students as part of your uni work isn’t seen as an example for mentorship.

Tech Nation can endorse you for Promise even if you ask for Talent, or vice versa - “Tech Nation’s independent panel of assessors will determine whether, overall, they consider that the applicant should be endorsed and for which route”

Thanks @hsafra, I appreciate your help.

Mentoring student isnt a part of my job, I am a research scientist at FAANG, my job is to do research within the company, not to supervise PhD students. I am doing this outside my normal working hours (using my personal time), not sure if I have to demonstrate this. But i think regardless, I probably have enough activities. I frequently review/ area chair for top conference, helped organizing workshops at top conferences, also gave tutorials and talks at top conferences. All of these are outside my normal work duty.

Thanks for the pointer to the the endorsement, I guess then it probably doesnt matter too much which one I apply for.

@little_sunshine that does sound what they’re looking for. Just make sure to hav evidence to support that it’s outside of your work.

2 Likes