Optional criteria 2 - Evidence

1. How do I demonstrate that I have been recognised for my work outside of my immediate occupation that contributed to the advancement of the sector?

For the above question, can I include external volunteer activities not related to my field (IT) (e.g. Organizing blood donation drives, volunteering, etc.)

You can demonstrate recognition for work outside occupation in so many ways. e.g, speaking engagements, open source project, volunteering, GitHub profile demonstrating active participation in a collaborative project, your stack overflow profile showing significant contribution to discussions around code. however, accoording to the guideline, its important that all your evidence should be in the digital technology sector.

You can read the guideline to get more insight

I have a question on that, May! Would you give me your opinion?

Since 2020, I have been part of a non-profit international interest group that focuses on helping women who want to enter the UX Design field. We have embassies in different countries such as Colombia, México, Perú, Argentina, Uruguay, Costa Rica, Chile, and the one I’m from, Brazil - specifically Rio de Janeiro, since Brazil is a continental-size country. To be a part of this group you go through a selection process, with defined criteria, but I’m struggling to understand how can the activities we run meet Optional Criteria 2 (“recognised for my work outside of my immediate occupation that contributed to the advancement of the sector”).

Tech Nation states that letters of reference are not enough, so, in this case, what can be proof of evidence? We are a simple group, so we only have social media posts, medium content, and a YouTube channel with all our events recorded. But, since I only participated behind the curtains organizing the events, and mentoring people informally, would that be enough evidence? I’m so confused about that, so I would like to hear your opinion on that if possible. Thank you so much!

@May

You can still use a reference letter and add the selection email you received from the organisation to show it’s structured

2 Likes

Hi, Francisca! Thanks for the suggestion. :two_hearts:
I don’t have the email because we used WhatsApp at the time and I lost my messages :frowning: but do you believe a reference letter from an ambassador of the group and evidence of activities provided by the group, such as live presentations, workshops, and discussio forums, are enough?

A reference letter and othe evidence of your contribution may suffice, it also depends if it is considered a structured programme.

1 Like