Mentorship at University-based incubator and startup efforts?

Does anyone have experience or insights into how to reference contributions to University-based efforts to spin out and commercialize research innovations into startups etc? For example, as an experienced industry veteran:

• participating in structured programs that teach startup practices
  • mentoring teams of faculty and students around a particular business idea
  • evaluating proposals from teams competing for seed funding, etc.

This seems aligned with the Global Talent focus, but the guidance says “Mentoring at a university or a single startup is not sufficient”. I’m not clear whether that guidance is intended to exclude e.g. university professors mentoring individual students, or whether it also is intended to exclude mentorship in structured entrepreneurial efforts like university-based startup accelerators.

Hey,
I hope you’re well. Based on what has been mentioned on the tech nation, the following are important I guess:
1- This is not for the intention of Global Talent.
2- It should be showing a consistent contribution to such works outside of your main occupation.
3- It should be related to digital sector.
4- It excludes mentorship of other commercial organisations as part of a commercial arrangement. So it should be a volunteering role
5- Mentorship should be on behalf of a structured programme with selection criteria and is inclusive of non-profit charities and social mentorship programmes.

Therefore, if its volunteering in the tech sector, its structured and consistent, its as you mentioned in an incubator or accelerator which clearly has the role defined and you have been selected through a defined process and Id say it been happening for the last year or more, its okay. Go for it.

But for instance solely ADPList wouldnt be a valid evidence but it can be next to something else like I did :blush:

Good luck.

2 Likes

First of all, we need to know what criteria it is for. However, if it is for OC2, here’s what the TN says “Mentoring at a university or a single startup is not sufficient.

Since he mentioned its the incubator or the accelerator I guess, I think he can use this as evidence for mentorship. Based on his description, I assume it has been a consistent contribution with more than one starup.
Is that correct @felciano

Correct – this is for OC2. Many universities in the US have structured programs for encouraging entrepreneurship and facilitating technology transfer. These programs are obviously grounded in a single university, but will have many startups go through the program in any given year. So I’m trying to figure out if this would be considered “mentorship should be on behalf of a structured programme with selection criteria” (sufficient) or “mentoring at a university” (not sufficient).

2 Likes

Based on my understanding it will definitely count! If I was applying I would consider it but there are loads who do consultations here which might have a different opinion :smiling_face:

1 Like

@felciano I would include it but position it very well saying its not a mentorship “at a university” in the sense that you are mentoring students. It is “at” the university as a venue but the mentorship is aimed at tech startups involving mentoring founders/PMs (whoever is your mentorship for) and to train them on XYZ which contributes to the tech sector overall.

Do not leave the assessor to assume and flag it - explain very well.

It should count. What you want to demonstrate that it is structured and over a period of time not a one-off support to a university accelerator programme. I think if your overall evidence shows you are recognised in the sector and you have other solid evidence, the mentorship you have stated will be acceptable.

1 Like