Looking for Feedback for Exceptional Promise Application as a Software Engineer

Hello all, I have enjoyed reading through posts and comments here for some months, while gathering evidence for my Application. I would appreciate any feedback.

Recommendation Letters

1. CTO and Cofounder of Company A(I worked for company A for two years)
  2. CTO of Company B(I worked for company B for two years) and currently Founder of a UK Fintech
  3. Sub Saharan Africa Developer Programs Lead Google(We have worked on various developer programs together)

MC Evidence

1. How does my career progression, promotions, salary increase, remuneration and ownership of company shares show that I am a potential leading talent in the software engineering sector?

Summary - wrote about my sustained promotions and leadership of product engineering teams across Company A and B, my share ownership , and my over 4435% increment in salary within four years of my software engineering career.

1. How does my innovative code contributions to Company A show that I am a potential leading talent in the software engineering sector?

Summary - wrote about innovative code solutions for Company A, sharing pull request screenshots, also mentioned how my solutions helped company A save hundreds of work hours plus collect millions in subscription payments.

1. How does my innovative code contributions to Company B show that I am a potential leading talent in the software engineering sector?

Summary - wrote about my engineering leadership of the payments team and innovative code solutions for Company B. I also shared pull request screenshots, plus mentioned how my solutions helped the company process billions in customer transactions monthly.

1. How does my contribution to the OpenTelemetry open source project, and my feature on the Cloud Native Computing Foundation(CNCF) blog for my contributions show that I am a potential leading talent in the software engineering sector?

Summary - wrote about being a top contributor in an open source project that features contributions from software engineers across Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, Amazon Web Services, etc, and the feature of my work on the CNCF blog. Also shared screenshots of my pull requests as well as repository stars and project downloads.

1. How does my speaking at high-profile digital technology sector events, workshops at high-profile sector events and awards from globally recognized technology initiatives show that I am a potential leading talent in the software engineering sector?

Summary - Wrote about my speaking at the maiden Kubernetes community day africa event, and my workshop at the maiden Open Source Africa event, sharing the stage with industry experts. I also shared screenshot of event fliers and youtube viewship and event registration. Also wrote about my master hacker award from Facebook developer circles and my completion of the Google summer of code program. Shared screenshots for my award and participation certificate. For each of the above I mentioned statistics of acceptance and program completion rate.

OC2 Evidence

1. How does my code contribution to and membership of the OpenEMR open source project demonstrate that I have been recognised for my work outside of my immediate occupation that contributed to the advancement of the software engineering sector?

Summary - wrote about how the project provides electronic health record solutions to medical practices in low income areas. Also added screenshots showing my membership, pull requests and the projects stars on Github.

2 . How does my leadership of tech communities demonstrate that I have been recognised for my work outside of my immediate occupation that contributed to the advancement of the software engineering sector?

Summary - wrote about my leadership of two tech communities within the google and facebook developer programs ecosystem. Also mentioned the impact of my leadership. Shared screenshots showing my acceptance as community lead plus invitation to community lead events and awards.

OC3 Evidence

1. How do I demonstrate that I have made significant technical contributions to the software engineering field as a Senior Software Engineer and Engineering Lead at Company A?

Summary - wrote about the commercial and business performance impact of some of my code solutions from mandatory criteria 2. Also added screenshots of measured impact metrics.

1. How do I demonstrate that I have made significant technical contributions to the software engineering field as a Senior Software Engineer at Company A? Part 2

Summary - wrote about the impact my code solution had on internal users in terms of hours saved, also included screenshots of measured metrics. I added a screenshot of a letter of reference of the Co founder and head of products of Company A, where he speaks about my software engineering leadership as well as the business, commercial and customer impact of my work.

1. How do I demonstrate that I have made significant technical contributions to the software engineering field as an Engineering Team Lead at Company B?

Summary - shared a screenshot showing code and parts of architecture document of a service I developed for company B which was adopted company wide. I also quoted metrics of impact even though I had no evidence. Added a reference from the CTO of company B where he mentioned the commercial and business impact of my work plus my engineering team leadership.

1 Like

Hi @prondubuisi ,
I think you have a solid case. It resonates with me because mine was similar. The contribution to open-source is a strong factor. In my OC however, I not only quoted metrics, I showed hard evidence of how the products (enterprise software) I built over the years have generated sales for the company. But you might not need to.
I hope it helps. All the best!

2 Likes

Thanks a lot @tosin , I couldn’t get hard evidence because the company is no longer in business. For my other OC3 evidence, I have hard evidence. Hopefully the references from the CPOs helps too, as it mentions the metrics I quoted.

You have a very strong case, just make sure your contributions are well articulated. In my case, when i didn’t have hard evidence i made sure a had a supporting letter form a top member of the team by taking a screenshot of the letter and adding it to the document. Hopefully that will help. All the best :+1:t5:

1 Like

Thanks @Uche_Mukolo , I will have another look at how articulated my contributions are and make updates as needed.

I think you have some good evidence but you need to present it well to convince an assessor that you are outstanding when compared to your peers or people with similar backgrounds. I would prioritise putting opensource projects first before evidence of high salary. Also regarding the speaking event, you have to be a speaker at the main conference not workshop.

For OC2 is the opensource project in the mandatory criteria same as the one in OC2? Bear in mind that you can’t repeat sane evidence in another criterion.
For the meta and Google developer group, how long have you been leading the community? Hopefully all your evidence are not recent.

Thanks for the reviews @Francisca_Chiedu , I did not mention I had a high salary as I have seen that fail many times. I instead moved through my career progression over the last 4 years. I focused on Leadership, promotions, owning of company shares in a product company and finally salary increments over the last 4 years(around 4435%). Also used evidence(Mandatory 1) to show evidence of my fulltime offers, Payslips, Promotions etc . So I wouldn’t do that in any other evidence. I just referenced this in other places. For example when talking of my impact for company A and B, I say evidence of my working at these companies is in Mandatory 1.

I have two distinct open source projects where I contributed actively. Used one for MC and the other for OC2. I did not mention this in my original post, but I have applied previously, and got only OC2 approved.

I lead both communities for a year and 2 years respectively. Paired this evidence with one of my Open Source contributions for OC2.

Yes all of my evidence for leadership of facebook and google groups and opensource contributions were around 2020.

For the workshop, I will probably take it out, even though I paired the workshop with speaking at another event, plus two industry awards in one event.

Avoid putting a workshop as the guides states that “leading a workshop or running a session at a conference is not sufficient”. I get your point about demonstrating progression in your pay but I will still consider it the weakest evidence. Put the opensource at the top. Also have you addressed the gap in your application based on feedback from your previous application?

Thanks @Francisca_Chiedu , I will do as you have said.

I have tried to address the feedback to the best of my ability.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate.

1 Like