I am applying under Digital Technology – Exceptional Promise and would appreciate feedback on how strong my current evidence is, particularly for OC1 / OC3.
Background
-
My background is a bit mix and on and off, I worked in tech startup as product manager 10 years ago, then moved country and had to start over again
-
Based in UK
-
Currently building my own mobile product
-
I have a mixed background across product research, UX and software engineering.
-
My current role is business development for a non tech company (due to visa reason, they are the only company would sponsor me)
Main Criteria
MC – Mandatory Criterion
1. Recommendation letter – Principal Engineer (who mentors me and knows me over 2 years)
- Intended to cover my technical/product capabilities and my ability to work across design and software engineering.
2. Recommendation letter – University Lecturer
-
Recommendation letter from a university lecturer with relevant technology/software background.
-
Intended to cover my technical development, problem-solving ability and future potential.
3. Recommendation letter – Former CTO
-
Recommendation letter from my former CTO, who has known me for 10+ years.
-
We worked together during my earlier startup experience.
-
He can provide first-hand evidence of my contribution to product development and my longer-term development in digital technology
-
Letter includes the name of company, product, how and when we met, my position and my recent work and contribution in the uk
OC1 – Innovation
A. Independent mobile product
I’m a solo founder for a product (no company), independently researched, designed and developed a mobile app, live on iOS and Android.
Evidence available:
-
Figma design files and design history
-
GitHub repository and development history
-
User feedback and product reviews on social media
B. Earlier startup product experience
I worked at a startup and was involved in product research and product/function planning.
My contribution included:
-
User research/interviews
-
Identifying user needs
-
Planning product functions
-
Developing matching/product concepts
-
Iterating product features based on user behaviour
-
Contributing to product/content strategy
I do not have detailed product metrics from this period.
C. Third-party historical evidence (too old I’m not sure is this ok for OC)
-
An article from around 2017 covering the company and its product.
-
The article provides third-party media evidence of the product/company and its activity in the technology/startup sector.
-
The article is around 9 years old, so I understand it may be more useful as historical corroborating evidence rather than recent recognition.
D. supporting letter from tech leader that recognise my contribution
-
My ability to independently identify a problem, design a digital solution and take it through to a functioning product.
-
My development as a product builder working across UX, product and engineering.
-
Why this demonstrates potential to contribute to the UK digital technology sector.
OC3 – Recognition / Contribution Beyond My Occupation
A. Support work for a startup
github merge history
whatsapp chat history with the developer that says good words about my work
supporting letter from the developer I work with
B. volunteer full stack developer
I worked as a volunteer full stack developer for a charity organisation for about a year
-
GitHub merge history
-
supporting letter from the senior developer I worked with
-
I’m also asking supporting letter from the organisation but haven’t replied me yet
Other Recognition / Public Activity
Tech community
- tech meetup presentation about my product (within 3 months), it’s too recent that I’m not sure should I add it to the evident list
Questions I would particularly appreciate feedback on
-
Is my former CTO, who has known me for 10+ years, a strong choice for one of the three recommendation letters?
-
Should I use the 2017 article as historical evidence for OC1, despite being outside the recent 5-year period?
-
Would you structure my evidence differently between OC1 and OC3?
-
Are there any obvious gaps in my current evidence that I should address or keep building?