Is this letter from 2014 from Google of any use?

Hello,

I have a letter from Google from 2014, it is related to Google Summer of Code. Do I understand correctly, that it makes no sense at all to provide it as a reference because it is 8 years old? Is it of any use for me now?

Thank you,
Ivan

The Tech Nation Guide says "Any activity you are providing as evidence of recognition should have occurred within the past 5 years."

Also, you may want to blur out personally identifiable information on the letter.

1 Like

You can only use evidence that are within 5 years.

2 Likes

I actually received different advice regarding the 5 year time frame. If you read the TN guide closely, the 5-year requirement only applies to the recommendation letters and mandatory criteria.

For OC3, I used a letter of support to evidence my impact at Google 7-8 years ago.

I’d consider this an impressive example of contribution beyond day to day work (OC2). If you were to use it, I’d create one document and add detail before the letter describing the program, how and why you were selected, explain the competitiveness of it, and the commitment - then include the letter to corroborate.

You were lucky yours was accepted. Generally, evidence must be within the last 5 years.