ILR Timeline for Global Talent (Exceptional Talent route)

Hi There,

Thanks to all those who took the time to share relevant experiences in getting an ILR after spending the required time with the Global Talent Visa.

I wonder if someone could help me understand if I got my timeline correct.

1. I got by Global Talent Visa (Exceptional Talent) whilst being in New Zealand. The visa is valid until 01-Oct-2026.

2. The Visa Vignette (which is the entry clearance) was issued with a start date of 01-Oct-2021 and was valid for 90 days. The Vignette expired on the 31st of Dec 2021.

3. I landed in England on the 5th of December 2021 and started working in my area of expertise & endorsement with a renowned company on the 15th of December 2021.

4. I know that I will be eligible to apply for an ILR after 3-years. I meet all the continuous residence conditions, etc.

5. The straightforward calculation is to calculate 3 years from the date of entry (5th of December 2021), leaving me to apply for the ILR on the 5th of December 2024

6. Reading through the Home Office content, however, I am convinced that I can apply on or after the 3rd of September 2024.

7. Apparently, I can apply 28 days in advance from the start date of my entry clearance and count the time between 01-Oct-2021 & 04-Dec-2021 towards my absence.

8. To summarize, Can I apply for my ILR on the 3rd of Sep 2024 or should I wait until the 5th of Dec 2024, just like others did in this Forum?

Cheers.

1 Like

You can apply for ILR 28 days before the start date of your visa… you can use this link for ILR calculator

https://immigrationstory.uk/en-gb/tools/ilr-calculator

Thanks.
I wondered only because @Anurag_Singh mentioned in his post that he specified his arrival date instead of the visa grant date.

It says, ‘I put the date I ARRIVED in the UK on the NEW GT VISA (which was few days after the grant date; some people say they put grant date but I had put arrival date).’

More clarity would be helpful, please.

Cheers.

Hi, the eventual choice is yours. I was comfortable with the date of entry and was not in a particular rush, so chose to stick with date I entered. That said, many others have used the visa vignette date.

Sweet as… thanks for the prompt response.

With regards to working in the area of endorsement, that does not need to be 3 year’s worth of work experience, isn’t it?

The 3 years eligibility is just for ILR’s continuous residence purposes is my understanding.

Well ideally you have been given the visa for work in a particular field i.e. digital technology so your work should be in the domain. Now say you had a gap due to trying a startup or getting laid off etc. your work does not need to be continuous. You just need to have earned something in the specified field for sometime / anytime, while on the Visa.

Now this can also mean that you could have done whatever work related or not to your endorsed field but you must have done some work in the specified field. And to truly live to the purpose of the visa you should have worked in the area endorsed. But technicalities are a different ball game so :man_shrugging:.

Thanks again. I guess I fall under the straightforward category. I am a full-time employee, who has worked in the domain of endorsement, since the 15th of Dec 2021 (10 days after entering the country), and is still employed. So I should not be too much concerned, I believe.

thanks for all the support @Anurag_Singh and @Francisca_Chiedu