Help needed! GTV readiness review: Digital Technology - Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise?

Hi everyone,

I’m preparing for a UK Global Talent endorsement application in digital technology and would appreciate feedback on my readiness, proposed evidence and whether Exceptional Talent or Exceptional Promise would be more appropriate.

My background

I’m based in Wellington, New Zealand, with over 12 years of software engineering experience, including banking and financial services. I hold a B.Tech in Computer Science and Engineering and a Postgraduate Diploma in Software Development and Blockchain from IIIT Bangalore.

I currently work at Bank of New Zealand (BNZ). My formal designation is Senior Engineer, but I have led development as an engineering lead for BNZ customer financial analytics and digital hardship tools. I have also led architecture and development for our open banking platform, scheduled to go live in October 2026.

My technical experience includes backend engineering, distributed systems, APIs, event-driven architecture and cloud platforms. Previously, I worked at ANZ on international payments, internet banking and the goMoney mobile app.

Although my total career spans over 12 years, all the projects, contributions and achievements proposed as evidence below relate to the last five years.

Proposed mandatory criterion evidence:

1. BNZ open banking platform

I have led architecture and development for a multi-bank consent and data ingestion platform. My responsibilities include service boundaries and contracts, consent and process state management, asynchronous ingestion, idempotency, event-driven coordination and readiness checks before downstream processing.

I plan to include redacted architecture evidence, confirmation of my personal ownership and leadership, and verified production outcomes after launch.

2. Published InfoQ article

My article, “When Java Wasn’t Enough: How We Re-Designed PDF Table Extraction for Banking Systems,” has been published by InfoQ. It discusses technical challenges and engineering decisions in production banking systems.

I intend to include publication and authorship evidence, relevant editorial correspondence, and available readership or engagement information.

3. ExtractPDF4J—open-source recognition and adoption.

I created and maintain ExtractPDF4J, a Java PDF table extraction project with a library, CLI and API service supporting text-based and scanned PDFs. It now has 500+ GitHub stars and more than 8,000 downloads globally. I plan to include dated adoption statistics, release history and evidence of my personal contribution.

If possible, I would also obtain a supporting letter from a Java Champion familiar with the project, explaining its technical significance, adoption and my contribution to the Java community.

4. Salary as supporting context

I plan to include employment and salary evidence, with a relevant benchmark against comparable roles in New Zealand.

Proposed OC2 evidence—contributions outside employment:

- JUnit: Two merged contributions, supported by PRs, review discussions and an explanation of their significance.

- Speaking: Two talks delivered at SQL Saturday Wellington 2025, plus a talk delivered in CodeCamp Wellington 2026. I would distinguish delivered talks from acceptance evidence.

- Mentoring: My ADPList mentoring, supported by documented activity and feedback.

- Other technical writing: A published Future Nexus article on production PDF table extraction and technical articles on other platforms.

Proposed OC3 evidence—significant technical contributions:

- BNZ customer financial analytics (CODA) and digital hardship tool: I led development as the engineering lead, while my formal designation remained Senior Engineer. This included financial data orchestration, analytics integration, multi-bank PDF statement extraction and the banker-facing digital hardship tool, with an estimated saving of 45 minutes per case.

- ANZ international payments: My technical contributions to the development of international payments systems.

- ANZ internet banking and goMoney mobile app: My contributions to these digital banking platforms.

For these projects, I intend to provide redacted technical evidence, stakeholder confirmation of my individual contribution and measurable business or customer outcomes where available.

Planned recommendation letters:

I expect to obtain the three main recommendation letters from:

1. The General Manager for Strategy and Architecture at BNZ.

2. A Principal Architect or Lead Architect at ANZ who worked closely with me on ANZ products.

3. The Head of Modernisation at BNZ.

Separately, I can obtain project-specific supporting reference letters from a Senior Product Manager at BNZ, confirming my responsibilities, contributions and outcomes for the relevant BNZ projects.

Questions for the community

1. Given my 12+ years in technology, does my profile fit Exceptional Talent better than Exceptional Promise? A consultant previously suggested Promise based on my more recent fintech leadership, but I’m unsure whether that fits my overall career.

2. Does my proposed mandatory evidence demonstrate sufficient recognition, or does it rely too heavily on achievements within employment?

3. Could ExtractPDF4J’s traction, supported by a detailed Java Champion reference, strengthen the mandatory criterion?

4. Would my BNZ open banking work be stronger under the mandatory criterion or OC3?

5. Are my BNZ and ANZ projects suitable for OC3, particularly regarding the product-led digital technology requirement?

6. How should I demonstrate engineering leadership when my formal designation remains Senior Engineer?

7. Does the proposed recommender combination look appropriate, including having two recommenders from BNZ?

8. Would submission after the October launch, with verified early results, be reasonable, or would a longer period of production impact materially strengthen the application?

This evidence mapping is provisional, and I would allocate distinct documents to each criterion. I’d appreciate candid feedback on the strongest evidence and any gaps I should address before submitting.

Thank you,

Kind Regards,

Mehuli

Its exceptional people who hv Such conflicts, u feel to big for promise but insuficient for exceptional I had it too. Do Exceptional,dear in filling the application you will now realise that you have more evidences than even required. You will apreciate me later

Talent looks more plausible than Promise given your 12 years in software engineering, although the panel will judge recognition and leadership shown by evidence from the last five years. ExtractPDF4J is your strongest MC candidate if it is substantial open-source work outside your role; the adoption data and Java Champion’s account can support it. Authorship of your InfoQ article alone does not meet the Guide’s example of published material about the applicant.

Your BNZ and ANZ OC3 evidence needs to establish that the products meet the Guide’s product-led company definition, as banks do not automatically qualify. Show your own engineering decisions and attributable impact. JUnit may support OC2 if it was voluntary and outside your job; the Guide says online ADPList mentoring is insufficient, and conference talks need to meet its event conditions. Waiting until launch results show meaningful impact would strengthen the open banking evidence. Two BNZ recommenders can work if each gives distinct examples from direct knowledge of your work.

Thank you, that’s encouraging! That’s exactly the dilemma I’m facing. I’ll start organising my evidence for Exceptional Talent and see how strongly it demonstrates recognition and impact. Did you find any particular evidence especially helpful for the mandatory criterion?

Cheers,

Mehuli

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. The distinction between an article written by me and published material about me is helpful.

ExtractPDF4J is my independent open-source project outside employment. I’ll focus on demonstrating adoption and seek a detailed supporting letter from a Java Champion familiar with the work.

I’ve already checked the requirements for the public speaking events, and the events where I delivered talks meet those conditions.

Would my salary, supported by a benchmark against comparable engineering roles in New Zealand, also count as supporting evidence for the mandatory criterion?

For OC3, could you clarify what evidence would establish that the banking products meet the product-led requirement? My work includes ANZ internet/mobile banking and international payments, alongside BNZ customer financial analytics and the digital hardship tool.

I’ll also gather measurable production results after the open banking launch.

Cheers,

Mehuli

A New Zealand salary benchmark can support MC if it shows your pay is unusually high for comparable digital-technology roles and helps evidence recognition of your expertise. Use a reliable, dated benchmark matched for location, seniority and role, explain the comparison, and corroborate your actual remuneration with contract and payslips. The Guide does not treat salary alone as enough: connect it to significant impact beyond normal duties and provide independent evidence of that impact.

For ANZ and BNZ, examine the specific offerings you worked on, such as goMoney and BNZ’s open-banking platform, separately. Show who owns and sells each digital product or platform, who pays for it, and with reliable company or product evidence whether it is proprietary and a primary revenue source. A bank’s customer app or internal platform does not by itself establish product-led status; if the evidence instead shows technology supports the bank’s broader banking services, explain that distinction. If an offering does meet the definition, document your own contribution to its launch or growth and the resulting measurable impact.