Guidance on GTV and Moving Abroad for Work

Hi everyone,

I’ve been residing in the UK with a Global Talent Visa (GTV), having moved here in January 2024. I’m currently employed as a Data Scientist on a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) project. However, I’ve recently received a job offer from a company located outside the UK, which I’m seriously considering.

Given this situation, I have a few questions regarding my GTV and potential future plans:

If I decide to move abroad for this new opportunity, can I return to the UK within two years and continue working under my current GTV without requiring sponsorship from an employer?

Would spending time outside the UK impact my ability to renew my GTV after its initial three years?
Upon deciding to renew my GTV, how many salary slips or financial documents would I need to present as evidence of my employment and income?

Your advice would be incredibly valuable to me as I make this important decision about my career and residency.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance!

Under the GTV, you are only allowed to spend 180 days outside the UK in a given 365 days circle.
There is a clause to this, it says except in some special occasion where your employer permits you to work outside the UK for extended periods.

And YES, it will affect your application if you leave the UK without following the above mentioned guidelines.

As for your ILR, I hope someone else can give you an insight pertaining that.
Good luck as you navigate this tough decision.

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

I talked with Immigration Lawyer and he said I can use the Global Talent Visa for 3 years even if I am not living in UK.

Reply from Laywer:
‘’’
Your Global Talent Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for the UK allows you to leave and re-enter the country within its validity period. Your BRP should remain valid for re-entry to the UK as long as you return within its validity period. Ensure your BRP does not expire while you are outside the UK. If it’s due to expire while you’re abroad, you’ll need to renew it before you leave or apply for a return visa to re-enter the UK if it expires while you’re away.

Upon returning to the UK, if your BRP is still valid, your right to work continues unaffected. However, if you’re considering any future immigration applications, such as ILR, your time abroad might be scrutinised as part of the continuous residency requirement. Keeping records and evidence supporting the professional nature of your absence will be important.
‘’’

Maybe I will renew the Global Talent Visa in the last year of validity using my last three payslips. I hope it will work.

Thanks again for your input.

Regards,

1 Like

The last paragraph of your statement works.