Endorsement Promise (Rejected)

Hi Everyone,

I recently applied for Tech nation under the promise route. Unfortunately, I was rejected,

Recommendation Letters

• CIO at a startup that raised over $1.5m
  • COO at a Nigerian startup
  • CEO of a fintech startup in Nigeria

Personal Statement
Resume

Mandatory Evidence

• Employment contract with salary information
  • Lead engineer on a Startup product that processed over N100m. Showed Github code screenshots as my evidence.
  • Lead engineer on another Startup product that processed over £120k worth of transactions. Showed Github Code screenshots, screenshots of the business metrics, along with different sections of the app

OC 2

• Different contribution to Open Source projects.
  • Article on my medium page with over 50K+ reads.
  • Twitch Session where I was invited to go over an app I built.

OC 3

• Document explaining my contribution to the current startup where I currently work at. Showed Github Code Screenshots.
  • Document explaining my contribution to another digital product where I was a contractor. Showed Github code screenshots along with a screenshot of some of the business metrics.

Tech nation got back to me with the following response:

The applicant has applied for Optional Criteria 2 & 3 (OC2 & OC3).
The applicant fails to meet the requirements of the Mandatory Criteria (MC) because the evidence
provided fails to demonstrate extraordinary ability by emerging national or international recognition. The
individual is not able to demonstrate a level of emerging expertise which places them at the forefront of
their respective field in the digital technology sector. The evidence put forward by the applicant
demonstrates that they are a talented software engineer, rather than a leader of exceptional promise.
There is not enough evidence to demonstrate the applicant has a profile that is recognised, more
evidence would be needed in the form of media coverage, speaking opportunities and engagements at
high profile conferences.

The applicant meets the requirements of OC2 because the evidence provided demonstrates that the
applicant has been recognised for work outside of their immediate occupation that contributed to the
advancement of the sector. The applicant is a contributor to open source projects and can demonstrate
strong results from self publishing.

The applicant fails to meet the requirements of OC3 because the evidence provided fails to
demonstrate the level of impact the applicant has had as it relates to having made a significant
technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contribution to the field as a founder, senior executive or
employee of a product-led digital technology company. The applicant’s tenure at their different digital
technology companies has been short and as such the evidence is
very limited for the impact they were able to have. There is not enough evidence of impact here to
endorse for this criteria.
On the basis of the above, we do not endorse this application at this time.

1 Like

hello @tnengineer

i am sorry to hear that you are not endorsed.

may i ask please when did you submit and receive your rejection? and are you planning to consider review?

My application timeline was not normal because there was an issue with finding my application.

I submitted on July 31st, received Feedback September 15th. I’m planning on applying for a review but not sure it’s worth it in my case.

how did you know about the issue?! did you actually add wrong reference number?? colleagues in here will be able to advise further on the review. also, go through posts about reviews. some applicants get endorsed if they manage to point out their potentials. Best of luck

The evidence provided in ur mandatory criteria do not emphasize ur “leadership” skills, which is important ur letter. They require external validation of your leadership contribution with enough evidence such as media coverage, speaking engagements, etc.

You met the requirements for OC 2.

In optional 3,
The applicant’s tenure at their different digital
technology companies has been short and as such the evidence is very limited for the impact they were able to have. This is well detailed as such, there is no need for explanation.

Lastly, you did not provide enough evidence on the “impact” you have made such as what metrics are you using to demonstrate the impact and do you have reference from a cofounder, partner or customer to affirm your impact?.

1 Like

I didn’t add the wrong reference number. They reached out on 22nd August to say they were yet to see my application. Had to send in my reference number. Thank you

1 Like