Email Correspondence and Photos Only as Evidence

Is it mandatory to have reference letters for OCs or can one do just fine with email correspondence and photos as evidence?

I have different email correspondence that show:

• Request to be a mentor in a selection process (a structured program that selects participants to intern at startups in other countries).
  • Request to be a mentor to startup founders who go on to investor funding rounds (not same program as above).
  • Selection to be a reviewer of pioneering national occupational standards for digital sector of Nigeria
  • Visa/invitation letters to speak at an international software conference (have for 2 separate years of same conference where I gave different talks).

All the above have additional evidence such as photos, documents reviewed, schedules/programs etc.

Would the above serve or is it mandatory to get reference letters as well? If reference letters are mandatory, how many? @Shreeniwas_Iyer @Francisca_Chiedu

Thanks for your response/advice in advance.

Actually anyone that can provide an answer for this is welcome to do so. Thanks.

The updated guide states you have to. It is possible to get an invitation to participate as a mentor or speaker, that doesn’t confirm your participation. If you have video evidence and invitation, then it could fly. For mentorship, it has to be a top-tier accelerator. “Mentoring at a university or a single startup is not sufficient. When mentoring alongside other mentors (for example at a top-tier accelerator) you must have been a senior mentor that may be evidenced through a letter of reference from the programme. Note that simply training a colleague, providing general support or advice, or advising at a company of someone you know is not considered to meet the definition of mentorship”.

1 Like

Thanks for the response and insights @Francisca_Chiedu. I do have video evidences for the talks and thank you emails for the mentorships. One of the mentorships had the successful mentees go for a year long internship with software companies in a European country (based on agreements between this country and Nigeria - there online media posts that carry this relationship). The other mentorship was for a program to mentor startup founders and this was organized by Japan and Nigeria.

I have the invitations, photos of the events (one was virtual) and thank you/event close-out emails.

I am gathering that getting reference letters will strengthen the application. Thanks.

Add a reference letter. Does the online media specifically make reference to your contribution as a mentor.

Ok noted, will seek reference letters for these. No it doesn’t, the online news articles basically show that the two governments have an MOU to execute the programs for which I was involved as a mentor. Doesn’t mention me directly.

Well the article is not useful for your application.

1 Like