Dual residency and staying employed by US company

I have my T1 through tech nation. I’m an employee of a US company and want to continue to be rather than being transferred to the UK company. My spouse can’t follow me for now and all our benefits are US based which she needs. For the next few years I want to spend at least the minimum 183 days each year in the UK for residency but because my spouse in the US currently can’t change her job I need to split my time back and forth.

I’m trying to show my US company that this is possible without it being a giant pain for them. I’m not looking for anything other than to maintain the status quo and happily file my two tax returns and pay proportional tax based on where I’m spending my time. Anyone know if this would be possible for my US umployer to allow? I don’t want to change where I get paid or any of that. I use my no fee credit card for almost everything and not really worried about exchange fees or needing to have any real amount of money in a a UK bank account.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. If I can find a way to make this easy on them they will likely allow me to do it.

Hi @MacKenzie_Smith,

Did you figure this out by any chance? I’m in the same situation. I don’t even mind not traveling back and forth and just staying in UK continuously while my payroll is running in the US. I have no problems paying taxes as a non-resident (if allowed) for US, and resident for UK.
Primarily, I’m interested to know if we can legally have our payroll running in the US while working from UK, paying taxes in both countries?

Hi Rahul
Looks like it is possible. Even more so for you having the flexibility of the person doing all the admin.

For me unfortunately my company presently isn’t willing to have us set up as dual residents and did not want to do all the paperwork. US & UK allow it though. Mark.Funnell@everfairtax.co.uk Was recommended to my by my immigration attorney and he was very knowledgeable and willing to help for a very reasonable rate if my company would have been willing.

If you’re in a similar situation I’d reach out to him or a firm like Everfair that specializes in this situation and just have it all set up.

I still may end up being able to do it but likely only allowed to be in the US for 90 days / year.

1 Like

Thank you very much. I’ll look into this. I will mostly be in the same situation where the company wouldn’t want to deal with the paperwork required for dual residency.
Worst case scenario, I might just have to delay my arrival / payroll transfer to the UK and subsequently delay my ILR application by 2 years :frowning:.
Wishing you the best for your situation. I request you to please do let me know if you figure out a good way for this.

Thanks and Best Regards,

You can ask in the slack group.