Can I switch to GTV from student visa?

Dear All,

I am a first-year Ph.D. student in physics at one of the top 5 universities in the UK, with full funding and a research award from UKRI which covers tuition fees and stipends. I have published 10+ papers as the first & corresponding author (in all articles) in good journals in the field before the start of the Ph.D. I have also one year of experience working as a research associate at a reputed university in the UAE.

Currently, I am on a student visa for 4 years. I would like to know, if Am I eligible to try to apply for a Global talent visa switching from my current student visa or if should I have to wait until I complete my Ph.D.?
Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

Thank you


I switched from the graduate visa - unsure if it is the same visa category.

I won an “eligible” award and considers switching from Tier4 (student visa) to the Global Talent, it should be possible to swithc @Shambhu_Bhandari !

In my case my university covers my tuition fees and the living expenses are covered by a foundation, but the UKVI guidance says:

"If the applicant has, in the last 12 months before the date of application, received an award from a Government agency or international scholarship agency covering both fees and living costs for study in the UK, they must provide written consent to the application from that Government or agency. "

As none of them (my university and the foundation) covers both tuition fees and living expenses, should I provide a consent letter?