After endorsement, 6 months in the UK and 6 months elsewhere. Are you liable to pay taxes for all 12 months of the year?

Hi Everyone,

Please I’m really curious about how the tax remittance system works after you move.

I understand that you have to be in the UK for a minimum of 6 months every year after you get your visa, and of course within that time you’ll pay your taxes.
But if you were to be in other countries during the other half of the year, would you still have to maintain your monthly payments in the UK regardless of whether or not you’re physically present at the time?

Would love to hear from anyone that has an idea on how this works. Thank you.

1 Like

Hi @Lola_Salehu, UK follows global taxation of residents. i.e if you are a resident in the UK (and there are rules defining what residence is, but if you stay past 183 days in a year, you are most likely to be treated as a resident), then all your income is taxable in the UK. If you pay taxes elsewhere, then there might be options to reduce your taxes accordingly, depending on the treaty UK has with that country.


UK has information sharing with many countries through the Common Reporting Standards (CRS) and has sent letters to people based on their foreign incomes. So, please take your global tax liability responsibilities seriously and file them here in the UK.