Can I even do this? Please advise for Promise, Business

Sorry but I have stuffed a few questions in a single post because I’m panicking and stuck on how to proceed.

I am applying as Promise from a business (marketing) background and have done significant work in expanding tech companies. However I’m putting together my application and am facing some challenges:

• Most of my work is impactful & still in use by the company even long after I’ve left, such as multiple ebooks, white papers, brochures, etc. that I’ve led the content & development of. But they’re published on behalf of the company and therefore have no author’s name.

• Stats like number of leads generated are proprietary information that I don’t have access to anymore since I’ve left the company. So I can only prove this with letters of support, which I know is also not ideal. What do people do here when you can’t share internal organizational information?

• I have been at only 2 companies in my 5 years of working, and the first company was much more significant. In this company, I first had a regional marketing role, then a global role. Therefore I could get very strong recommendation letters from my boss in each role- they’d speak about my work in the same company but completely different roles where I’ve had completely different impacts. I’ve seen many people say the letters should be from different organizations, so I’m wondering what to do here as I don’t have too many strong enough options for my 3 LORs.

• In my global role, I worked with multiple departments & did various impactful projects with different ones. Therefore some of the strongest letters of support/reference I could get are from people in the same company, but I believe this is not recommended either?

And yes, I do have a handful of reference letters I can get from people of different organizations but they will somehow all overlap with my first company because it is a market leader in a very niche industry - is that going to be a problem?

Fear not.

Since you have access to a host of reference letters, you must consider those that would provide fresh and unique insights about your contributions/impact/innovation.

You can definitely use LORs from the same company but they MUST be written by separate people who are considered to be leading experts in the digital sector sector.

If you still have “strong” ties to your former company, you can simply ask them to share some of the additional evidences that you require. E.g. You could ask them to help you compile a folder containing snapshots of “your contributions” in comparison to others while at the company on say github or jira or any other platform where your former company manages processes.

In addition, you can ask them to provide you with latest metrics of the solutions that you have contributed to. This can also be in the form of a separate letter or even contained in an official email sent directly to you which you can convert to a .pdf.

Other support documents that you can reflect upon are your salary/remuneration packages or promotional letters while at the work. Except you intend to choose OC1 and OC3, these documents would mostly address OC3 and perhaps the MC.

If you have contributed outside your normal work to the advancement of the field, then you may go for OC2 as well.

These are just suggestions. If you are still in doubt, a common action is to compile all that you intend to submit and share here for more experienced people to share their thoughts and hopefully, guide you accordingly.

See this comment here for some insight about LORs: Experience vs impact in Recommendation Letters

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I cannot tell you how reassuring this. The link is also really helpful!!

1 Like

Even if your work was published on behalf of the company, you can still mention it in your application and explain your role in its creation. You can also mention its impact on the company and its success. As for not having access to proprietary information, letters of support from colleagues and supervisors can still help demonstrate your influence. Just be sure to highlight your role and the results you’ve achieved. If you still need to figure out your abilities, it may be worth consulting with experts at https://www.successionresource.com. Remember, you will succeed! Just be confident in your skills and show your strengths as best as possible.

1 Like

Hi! I have some work I’ve done for 2 tech companies on a self-employed/consultancy basis, and they’re high-impact projects. Could I put this under Recognition Beyond Occupation under a “Furthering tech adoption” evidence heading? This is what Fragomen suggested when I had an initial consultation.

You could do that, but I would avoid using the word “consultancy” because of the wrong signal that it may send to TN.

1 Like

Yes I agree, this was noted in my rejection feedback, consultancy roles reduces the weight of your application drastically.

1 Like

@tnvaspirant those look more like OC3 (significant contribution) criteria as work outside immediate employment should be for work you didn’t earn from.

I definitely understand the logic and thought the same - however Significant Contribution specifies that it’s work done as a “founder, senior executive, board member or employee,” which is why some advised me to put it under Beyond Occupation to show I’m recognized & trusted in the industry. I was thinking it’d be okay to use words like “advise” and “collaborate” instead of consult