What examples could be more suitable as evidence for proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation?

As part of “(ii) proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field” I am thinking of showing the following examples:

1. Talks as a speaker or a panelist at conferences. For example: my TEDx talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/somdip_dey_are_we_developing_artificial_intelligence_to_support_humanity_somdip_dey_tedxcolchester & other speaking event related to entrepreneurship and technology such as this: https://www.essexstudent.com/ents/event/23055/
  2. Talks/presentations of research after being accepted for oral presentation in top academic conferences? For example: I have presented my work at DATE, VLSID, etc.
  3. Reviewing research papers and being part of the technical program committee of top academic conferences and journals such as AAAI, CVPR, ICLR, ASAP, etc. Example: https://asap2020.cs.manchester.ac.uk/committee.php or https://2021.asapconference.org/committee.html
  4. Creating/adding new articles to improve the knowledge of existing technologies such as Microsoft technologies. For example: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Profile/somdip%2Bdey%2B-%2Bmsp%2Balumnus

My question on the aforementioned evidence topic are as follows:

1. Can I show the aforementioned examples as “proofs of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field”? Which evidences from the above is more acceptable for this criteria?
  2. If yes, then how to show the evidences? Should I provide links to TEDx talk or mentions in academic conference committee pages? Or should I also provide invitation letters to be part of the technical program committee or reviewer?

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you for your time. :slight_smile:

I think being a reviewer and also a speaker in well-known conferences are acceptable. Worth mentioning that I am only saying that based on my personal experience.

1 Like

Tech Nation made some update this week. There is an update related to speaking event.
" Talks or conference speaking that have had a significant viewership. Conferences must be widely regarded as sector-leading events for your field with at least 100 attendees (not registrations). As a speaker you must be speaking on the main stage and the invitation to speak must not have been paid for by your organisation as part of any sponsorship. Leading a workshop or running a session at a conference is not sufficient. Evidence should include your speech with either a link to the video of you speaking, the programme of events displaying your talk or a reference letter from the conference organiser with explanation of why you were asked to speak".

Thank you so much for your reply on this. Is there a number of review that I need to show? What evidence can I provide as part of being a reviewer?

Thank you so much for this. BTW, out of curiosity, is there any possibility you can share the link about this update?

On the topic of TEDx talk because last year everything was virtual so the TEDx talk was uploaded online instead of having a normal TEDx conference. So, TEDx talk doesn’t fulfill the following - “Conferences must be widely regarded as sector-leading events for your field with at least 100 attendees (not registrations)”. However, the TEDx talk still has got huge response and lot of viewership. Can the TEDx talk be still used as an evidence?

1 Like

I don’t work for tech Nation, they have not said it must be a physical conference. If the virtual conference has over 100 attendees, I believe it should suffice if it is a sector specific event. you can also get a reference letter from the conference organiser with explanation of why you were asked to speak.

I’m planning to use a TedX talk myself as the top evidence for OC2.
My assumption is that this should be enough in itself.

With criteria being specific to 100 attendees – your video w 25k views should suffice.

1 Like

Thank you for the update and for your feedback. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your reply, buddy. Let’s hope for the best for both of us.

What other evidences are you providing for OC2? And for TEDx talk of yours are you getting any letter from the organizers to show why you were chosen for the talk (or anything like that)?

Tedx talk - I don’t plan on getting this, because it’s kind of obvious as my talk title contains “startup”. Though, I plan to use screenshots from microsite http://tedx.sit.ac.in/home.html to hit the checkbox of 100+ attandees + photos from facebook etc.

Other evidence I plan to show of being an angel investor with reference letter from an investee company and being on panel of a venture capital fund.

I think that should suffice. But, not sure. Would love an opinion from experts here.

Cheers!

PS - I’m on the same boat as you, tring to figure out as we go. Hopefully - with inputs from the kind people of this kickass forum - will finish the applicaiton in a week or so.

1 Like

I very much doubt tedx talks are considered industry related “conferences” tbh.

1 Like

@viciv - yeah that’s a tricky part. You’re right that ted maybe considered not relevant. My understanding is that “conferences” is on OR condition. Here’s what I had in mind -

Talks or conference speaking that have had a significant viewership. Conferences must be widely regarded as sector-leading events for your field with at least 100 attendees (not registrations).

As a speaker you must be speaking on the main stage and the invitation to speak must not have been paid for by your organisation as part of any sponsorship. Leading a workshop or running a session at a conference is not sufficient.

Evidence should include your speech with either a link to the video of you speaking, the programme of events displaying your talk or a reference letter from the conference organiser with explanation of why you were asked to speak.

@viciv @goonjanmall I still feel TED might be industry related if the theme of the conference matches the industry. But again this is a guess from my side and different people has different opinion on this.

Many consider TED, Collision, Summit, TechCrunch Disrupt as the top conferences to present or talk at. So, in that regard having a talk in these conferences might be considered as industry related? (would love to see your view on this)

For my specific industry: deep tech, the top industry related conferences are the peer-reviewed academic conferences, for which I will be showing in the “academic contributions” criteria section of my application. So, if I use those conference talks/presentations in the “academic contributions” criteria then reusing them in the criteria for “recognition beyond the applicant’s occupation” might not show the breadth of the applicant’s experience? What do you think about this view?

no offense, but TEDx aren’t really the same as TED talks…

1 Like

Fair. Thank you for your view on this. :slight_smile:

I’m a Founder of a Mobile app in Usa and have received a Certification form EdTech EDTECH edtechweek.com? Would the certificate count as proof?

I think you should start with read the tech nation vosa guide, see link https://technation.io/visa-tech-nation-visa-guide/

Thanks I read this before, the reason was asking because Im a founder of Mobile and have Ed Certification? but was denied thought is was Ed certificate was the reason -see letter

what is the actual feedback from the assessor. Tech Nation typically responds with details on why your were not endorsed.