Small vs Big Companies

I saw that if you go through the Global Talent Eligibility Checker, as soon as you select YES for “Is your aim to work for a large IT company?”, you are considered ineligible.

Any idea why?

Many large IT companies like Microsoft have “start-up” like products inside of them. I don’t see any difference between working for smaller companies or highly advanced departments like this.

What am I missing?

I don’t know what is the real reason, but I have some speculations:

1. Part of the focus of the visa is to attract entrepreneurs, so those who are going to start their own companies, rather than work for one; Some people also have the potential and desire to work part-time on their own startups along with their permanent job. That’s why they may want to apply for a Global Talent visa.
  2. It also seems to focus on addressing the talent shortage for startups, which rarely can afford to sponsor Skilled Worker Visa. Startup jobs are also quite unstable, so it is essential not to be tied to one employer and be able to move between startups quickly. Global Talent allows that, but only for the best of the best.
  3. Big companies have no issues whatsoever sponsoring a visa for a person they are interested in. If one just wants to work for a big company, arguably, he/she does not need Global Talent visa at all. Passing an interview and getting an offer along with visa sponsored would be a way easier, cheaper and less stressful course of action.

Point is - Global Talent visa is not an alternative for Skilled Worker or other visa types. It is targeted for a specific kind of talents with quite specific skills, background and aspirations.

Disclaimer: I don’t work for Tech Nation and I don’t represent Tech Nation. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

3 Likes

Thank you Alex! Your answers are priceless for people who are trying to get the Visa!

Happy to help! Feel free to follow me on Facebook - I am going to publish visa-related posts there https://www.facebook.com/aqaguy

1 Like