I recently received my technation endorsement for promise and while I have never asked any question on this forum, I’ll say that the questions and answers provided here helped significantly in shaping my application.
I was able to learn from people’s mistakes and successes here, and writing this post is my way of giving back.
If you are just starting out your application journey, here are a few suggestions.
1. Read the technation guide thoroughly. The best posts here are by people who ask very specific questions about an area of the guide that is unclear or a personal circumstance that isn’t so straightforward.
2. Don’t be in a hurry: It’s easy to want to put your application together quickly and submit it because of a personal deadline. But from what I noticed reading rejection cases and appeals, your first submission should be your best. Don’t leave out any critical piece of information, find a way to squeeze it into your 10 pieces of evidence. Appeals are easier when you only need to point the assessor in the right direction rather than try to include a critical piece of evidence that was missed out.
3. Explain, explain, explain: There are certain things you can get away with when you are a founder that has raised millions of dollars, e.g submitting screenshots and emails with no thorough explanations… but that’s not the majority of people here. Yes there are a few exceptional founders, but for most employees, it’s important to take the time to explain your evidence and clearly show how it helps you meet certain criteria… This is also why you need to read the guide and this forum thoroughly.
That said, here’s a list of the documents I submitted for my application
I am a performance marketing professional.
I had the standard CV, 3 letters of reference (1 from my CEO at my current company, 1 from a Marketing leader at a Fintech company and the last one from a Marketing leader at an eCommerce company in the UK) - I have worked with all three people in the past in various capacities so they were able to accurately speak about my work and my potential.
- Evidence of high compensation(offer letters) with glassdoor comparison.
- Evidence of speaking at an event (including a link to the video and emails from organisers)
- Evidence of leading growth at a high growth startup ( showed the investment we had received, incubators etc)
- Additional reference from an External Industry leader
- Additional reference from the CTO of my company detailing my contribution
- Evidence of Community contributions like speaking and volunteering
- Evidence of contributing to my field through a national publication(been contributing for over 3 years)
- 2 documents explaining my contribution to the growth of the company
- Same additional letter of reference from the CTO confirming my contribution.
Feel free to ask me any questions you have concerning my application or yours, I’ll try to answer to the best of my ability. I wish you the very best.
Thanks to the regular contributors on this forum. Your work is phenomenal.