Changes to the Tech Nation Visa Guide in October 2021

Tech Nation has updated the guide to reflect the official [ Statement of Changes HC617] which takes effect from 6th October 2021. The rule seems to be favourable for those considering the Exceptional promise route. In Rule GTE 7.4(b)(i) evidence for exceptional promise applications of “innovation as a founder of a product led digital technology company or as an employee working on a new digital field or concept is to be reduced from ‘at least two’ to at least one example”. See
Tech Nation Visa Guide for details.

October 2021

TYPICAL APPLICANTS:

• Added wording to clarify types of eligible applicants, Technical vs Business.

ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:

• The phrase ‘at least’ has been removed from the optional criteria for Promise, applicants should choose ONLY two optional criteria.
  • Clarified meaning for Optional Criteria 4 (academic achievement). For this criteria, it is the Research that should be endorsed by an expert, not the applicant themselves.
  • All Promise criteria have been amended to require ‘At least 1 example’ of evidence
  • Added ‘Board member’ to applicant type for Optional Criteria 3 for Talent (significant impact).

DOCUMENT CHECKLIST:

• Added wording that all evidence must legible for assessment.

EXAMPLES OF EVIDENCE:

• Added wording that Patent applications made solely for the purpose & timing of application are not acceptable.
  • Updated wording to clarify what is acceptable as evidence of Mentorship.
  • Added wording that contributions to software development made solely for the purpose & timing of application are not acceptable.
  • Updated wording to clarify what is acceptable as evidence of Conferences.
  • To support above criteria amendment, added wording to state that academic research must be either published or endorsed by an expert.
4 Likes

@Francisca_Chiedu Thank you for the good work.

2 Likes

@sojo Thanks for your kind words.

1 Like

Thanks @Francisca_Chiedu for drawing an attention for us, this will really help. I am also planning to apply for GTV as Exceptional Promise. I have total 6 years experience as developer in Information Technology, so thinking to apply for Promise instead of Talent. Hope its ok to apply for that route ? And from the updated link, please help me to conclude and correct if I am wrong, What I now understand is that the below list of documents can work for applying GTV:
1.) Personal Statement

2.) My C.V

3,4,5.) Three Letter of Recommendations from senior member of 3 different organizations/persons like Architects/Director with their short intro, contact details, address, author’s sign and CV/LinkedIn profile link.

6). Mandatory Criteria:

• Only 1 evidence required which can be Reference Letter

• And additional 1 document can also cover

• High package salary offered letter, bonus details, salary statements(how many, I don’t know).

• My Microsoft certificates cleared so far.

• Published materials like blog post and information about git hub repositories with URLs.

7.) Optional Criteria:[Only 2 evidences required], so planning to go through below:

• a.) Evidence 1: Demonstrate that how I made significant impact/contribution in Digital Technology as an employee

• Reference Letter from my architect

• And a document including below points:

• Document of deployment document which I have designed
      • Screenshots of Salary information from freelance
      • Screenshots of Awards in company
      • Screenshots of Github contributions
  • b.) Evidence 2: Demonstration of exceptional ability in field by making academic contribution

• A document including below points:
      • Evidence of 1st class degree/distinction
      • Evidence of receiving Gold Plated Medal in college
      • Reference letter from college affirming my potential
      • Certificates of winner in various coding competitions

c.) Evidence 3: (still thinking to go for this or not) Recognized my work outside my occupation:

• A document including below points:
      • Evidence/Certificate of talk in college as alumni for spreading knowledge
      • Screenshots of Evidence of Open source projects done by me for my clients
      • Screenshots of Evidence of Github projects
      • Screenshots of Recommendations from LinkedIn

Can you @Francisca_Chiedu or anyone please go through my summary once and guide me whether this seems promising to work or not and correct me wherever needed?

I would really appreciate all the help! :slightly_smiling_face:

@heemas I suggest you read the updated tech nation for suggested evidence. As far as i know, there is no criteria that fit your Microsoft certificates, the evidenceo f continuous learning was removed last December.
You also need to be careful of Published materials in blog post. Blogs and Linkedin post are not considered suitable evidence. Generally, the list you have provided need to be listed according to the criteria you are selecting for it to make sense. Also most people are volunteering, take your time to read the guide so you can get useful advise for your application.

Thank you for the update, @Francisca_Chiedu. Weldone.

1 Like

@iSlimfit You are welcome.

Hi Team,

Kindly help if blogpost written on own personal website related to digital technology is acceptable as an evidence.

Shalub

Hello @Shalub I don’t think that is a strong evidence enough. If you have something written about you on a 3rd party website (preferably a notable news or blog platform), it will be better to use that.

According to the guideline from TechNation:

“ * Published material in professional or major trade publications or major media about the applicant related to the applicant’s work in the digital technology sector. You must include the title, date and evidence that you are the author of such published material and any necessary translation.”

You can read more from the official TechNation guideline HERE.

1 Like

Thanks @iSlimfit . My blog consists of info related to server virtulization , network virtulization and containers. Also I got award (vExpert) from cloud virtulization organization (VMware) back to back from last 4 years. vExpert is the global award granted by VMware for people who contributed their learning and sharing with the community.

Pls help if that going to help me.

I am not sure if this will fly, personal blog posts are not considered sufficient evidence. As fpr your vExpert award, it may not be considered an award. Recently someone with Microsoft MVP award was rejected it was seen as an award given for promoting Microsoft product.

Thanks @Francisca_Chiedu

1 Like

Thank you very much for sharing such a critical update Francisca. Gracias!

1 Like

Hello Chiedu Francisca sincerely apologies for the stress i just started my application and i am stuck at the endorsement area. Can u please. guide me on how to properly apply for it thanks

I don’t understand your question. What do you mean by the endorsement area? I am not sure what help you need.

okay i mean i just started the application and i was asked

Were you endorsed under exceptional promise or exceptional talent criteria?
(Required)

Exceptional talent

Exceptional promise

Neither - I was endorsed under the UK Research and Innovation endorsed funder route

i dont know which to choose because i dont have any endorsement yet. and i will like to know to get the endorsement Thank You

you have the wrong application link.
use this link:

okay thank you very much i will follow up with his link now

Hi @Francisca_Chiedu
For the criteria “proven track record or examples of innovation in the digital technology sector”, the guide states the following:

If you are an employee working in a new digital field or concept, this must be clearly demonstrated, for example by providing a patent application (patent should include verifiable ID on Google Patents).

None of the companies I’ve worked for applied for patents. Is there any other type of evidence that can prove innovation?

Thank you!
Alex

You can show evidence that the product has international traction. Good numbers may suggest that the product is enough to have attained international growth. Also merge the metric with a reference letter from your employer to confirm your contribution. Honestly, innovation is sticky, I am more at home with demonstrating your impact.

1 Like