Can you rate my Exceptional Promise Application

Please, rate my application.
I am a Senior software engineer, and I have 4.5 years of experience.
I have been an individual entrepreneur for 4.5 years.
Total experience: 4.5 years.

Recommendation letters

1. Senior Developer from TOP-3 American telemedicine IT company.
    I have been working for the company for 1 year.
    The letter says about my impact on the team, my achievements at work and how great an IT developer I am.

2. CEO of a non-technical business company.
    He is my business client I have a contract with. He is a 7+ years entrepreneur, and he has 2 companies I worked for.
    I have created 3 large web projects for him. The letter says about my impact on the business that my actions and IT developments helped the company increase the business’s revenue 20+ times. And another web application has been used by over 40k museum visitors for the last year.

3. My research supervisor from the university.
    He is a head of the IT faculty department, PhD with 40 years of teaching experience. He has many research articles and publications.
    The letter says that I contributed to the university’s life and reputation. I also have a patent for my program, and I defended my thesis with an excellent mark.

Mandatory Criteria:
Document 1: Extracts from a business contract for software development (4 years long)
Document 2: Reference from a bank about how much money I raised as an entrepreneur for the last year. (TOP 3-4% percentile income before tax compared with PPP salary UK)
Document 3: Letter of support from an American IT company I did my university internship for 2 months and developed an internal project. I was a lead and mentor for the following internship team for 3 months.

Optional Criteria 2 (at least 1 example of proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field):
Document 1: European Voluntary Service: Erasmus+ Youth Pass Certificate (5 months of a voluntary educational project in London).
It was a voluntary project that lasted for 5 months in London, and it was sponsored by the British government and the European Union. I taught teenagers Math and IT, and I developed a web application for testing students.

Document 2: FIFA Confederation Cup 2017 Volunteer Certificate. I managed the IT infrastructure of the stadium. The Russian government issued the certificate and it was signed by the Minister of Sports of Russia.
Document 3: Letter of support from my school informatics teacher.
He has 19 years of teaching experience, and he is a tester for an open-source well-known docs editor. The letter says about my achievements and impact at my school. It also confirms that I am a winner of the school state Olympiads in informatics and a member of a small academy of sciences.
Document 4: Reference of Diploma Comparability issued by Department of Education UK saying I have a relevant bachelor degree with honours in Fundamental Computer Science and IT.

Optional Criteria 3 (at least 1 example of significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder or employee of a product-led digital technology company):
Document 1: Business registration documents as an IT developer and engineer. I have been an individual entrepreneur for 4.5 years.
Document 2: Certificate of program registration in Federal service for intellectual property patents and trademarks. No Google Patent ID, only Russian local registration.
Recommendation letter 2 says about the impact on the business and its revenues.
Recommendation letter 3 says about the impact of the program and the program registration for the glory of the university.
Document 3: Screenshots with Pull request names and counts of it from my work, showing my impact on the American IT Telemedicine project.
Document 4 (Added): Contract extract with the American company. Recommendation letter 1 says about it.

What do you think about my Exceptional promise case?
Should I change the order for some documents, or does everything looks OK?
Do you have any additional recommendations for the case?

Thank you very much!

Hello and welcome to the community.

Your profile looks promising for the Promise route :slight_smile:

However, there are some weak spots.
Your trading experience and earnings from trading don’t prove anything, as they have nothing to do with advancing the tech sector, and you’ve not earned those funds with your tech/leadership skills.

Letters of Recommendation looks ok, as long as they comply Tech Nation guide.

MC doc1 is ok, doc2 is meaningless, as the earnings are from trading, doc3 is ok.
OC2 the criteria pieces of evidence seems strong enough.
OC3 is the weakest criteria so far.
doc1 - is meaningless, not tech-related.
doc2 - patent alone doesn’t prove any impact/contribution. Does the app got some traction, impact on people or revenue?
doc3 - seems ok as supporting evidence to your first letter of recommendation.

Best wishes,
Savva.

1 Like

@Savvkin, thanks for your reply.
OC3, doc 1:
I have been a tech entrepreneur for 4.5 years, not trading at all.
It is pointed out in the government business registration documents that I do software development and engineering, and it means that all money that I raise as an entrepreneur is not from trading, but software development. All my contracts say about it.
All my incomes are related to software development… and I have to find ways to prove it.

I have a few long term contacts for software development, so do you think it is better to replace the reference from a bank with one more contract extract?

OC3, doc 2:
The patent is for the system that is used in the museum. In Recommendation letter 2 the CEO says about the CRM system. Over 40k museum visitors have bought tickets using the system, and I also created an Audio guide for visitors that every visitor uses for listening to stories about the items.
In Recommendation letter 3 the professor mentions the system and the patent because it was my thesis as well.
So, recommendation letters 2 and 3 describe the impact on the business and its revenue.

Hi. I think you can be potentially endorsed under promise but you need to put your evidence in the right criteria. You also need to add some context to the application to help the assessor understand how you meet the criteria, on the surface some of the evidence may not fit the selected criteria.

1. Recommendation letter 1, is the senior developer a senior member of the organization?

2. For the mandatory criterion I think the letter from the bank should fit more into optional criteria 33 and merge it with company registration to show it is commercially successful. It doesn’t necessarily show leadership.

3. I think you show move the Document three in optional criteria 2 to the mandatory criteria. Do you have an actual certificate or recognition for winning the informatics Olympia?

4. Document 4 in optional criteria 2 doesn’t fit OC2. How does it advance the tech sector?

1 Like

Hi, Francisca! It is my pleasure to have recommendations from you. I agree with your concerns and updated my application case to the following.

Answer your questions:

1. I moved the senior developer letter from Recomendation letter 1 to OC3 (Document 8). I will replace it with a letter from QA Director of the company. Is it ok, because the company is quite large and has more than 1200 employees?
  2. Agree, I moved it to OC3 (Document 7).
  3. Yeah, it might be a wonderful idea to attach my diplomas. I have 8 diplomas (certificates) from computer science and ICT student olympiads, however it was 7 years ago. I have 5 Ukrainian and 3 Russian diplomas and each of it says I am a winner or a prize-winner. I have chosen the latest 3 best diplomas, merged it in one document and put it to OC2, Document 6. My multiple winning is also noticed in the Recommendation letter in MC (Document 2), my school IT teacher mentions it, I also notice it in my personal statement.
  4. I removed the document from the case.

My GTV Exceptional promise updated case:
Recommendation letters

1. Director of QA Department (11 years of experience) from TOP-3 American telemedicine IT company.
  2. CEO of a non-technical business company (7 years entrepreneur).
  3. My research supervisor from the university (40 years teaching experience).

Mandatory Criteria:
Document 1: Extracts from a business contract for software development with the CEO of a non-technical business company (4 years long)
Document 2: Letter of support from my school informatics teacher saying about my achievements at school and I am an 8 times winner in informatic school Olympiads and a member of a small academy of sciences.
Document 3: Letter of support from an American IT company with a branch in Russia I did my university internship for 2 months and developed an internal project. After a few months I was a lead and mentor for the internship team for 3 months.

Optional Criteria 2 (at least 1 example of proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field):
Document 4: European Voluntary Service: Youth Pass Certificate (5 months of a voluntary educational project in London). I taught teenagers Math and IT, and I developed a web application for testing students.
Document 5: FIFA Confederation Cup 2017 Volunteer Certificate (2 months term project). I managed the IT infrastructure of the stadium.
Document 6: 3 Diplomas of Winner/Prize-winner in Russian and Ukrainian computer science Olympiads.

• 2 Ukrainian Diplomas saying the following “Diploma of the 3rd degree, winner of the third stage of the All-Ukrainian student Olympiads in basic and special disciplines in computer science.” Signed and stamped by the Minister of Education of Ukraine.
  • 1 Russian Diploma of prize-winner in All-Russian student Olympiads in computer science and ICT. Signed and stamped by the Minister of Education of Russia.

Optional Criteria 3 (at least 1 example of significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder or employee of a product-led digital technology company):
Document 7: IT Business registration documents for 4.5 years + letter from the bank about my IT business income for the last year.
Document 8: Letter of support from Senior developer (10 years of experience, my manager) at the TOP-3 American IT Telemedicine, it is an addition to Recommendation Letter 1, but written by another individual of the company. The letter says about my impact and contribution to the company and the IT project.
Document 9: Screenshots with Pull request names from my work, showing my impact on the American IT Telemedicine project.
Document 10: Employment contract containing salary information with the TOP-3 American telemedicine IT company.

The Tech Nation guide says everything should be translated into English and certified, but the evidences must be max 3 pages long each. Is it acceptable for a support document to be 3 pages original + 3 pages translated?
Or is it better to merge half by half on one page where left side is original and right side is translated?

A senior member of an organization doesn’t mean CxO. Senior/TeamLead is ok too. In your case, it depends on who knows your work better? Who can tell a story better? For example, how the QA head can tell how good you are at implementing/fixing/coding something. How can he possibly know this?

In OC3 - a reference letter from the bank is better than yet another contract.

Since some of my documents were in Russian, I had the same concern about the three pages per document limit. My typical single evidence had three pages in Russian, three pages of translation to English, one page of certification (according to Certifying a document requirements). A total of 7 pages per document and I had no issues.

2 Likes

I think it is fine. Also follow @Savvkin. recommendation for the translation

1 Like