Reference Letter for MC: Non-profit & social enterprise growth

Hello everyone,
As mentioned in the guide:
You led the growth of a non-profit organisation or social enterprise with a specific focus on the digital technology sector, as evidenced by reference letter(s) from leading industry expert(s) describing your work, or as evidenced by news clippings or similar evidence.

Question:

As evidenced by reference letter(s) from leading industry expert(s)

The reference letter can be from these founders/ceos of non profit / social enterprise or must be from product-led IT industry leader (like LoRs and mentioning this work of mine?)

Thank you!

It says so right after the examples:

Please note that ‘leading industry experts’ excludes roles listed as unsuitable in the Typical Applicants section of the guidance (for example, managers at Outsourcing or Consultancy firms etc.). Evidence of recognition, such as Reference Letters, provided by an immediate colleague, manager, or friend are not sufficient.

So to answer your question, it’s preferred that they are from a product-led company, but more importantly they can’t be from a company which doesn’t count as eligible, such as a consulting or outsourcing company.

1 Like

I see! Thanks a lot for the response. But it is still confusing!
To target this point, where I contributed to non-profit or social enterprise, I was planning to get the Reference letter from their CEOs/Founders, they are working on social issues or mission-driven impact related. They can’t be product led:/

Is the non-profit organisation or social enterprise with a specific focus on the digital technology sector? If the answer is no then it is not a suitable evidence.

2 Likes

On point!! This makes sense now! Thanks a lot!

Hi @Francisca_Chiedu I worked with the Indian government and helped them with projects in the digital technology field e.g. launch a new app to help make public transport more accessible through real time location tracking of buses, locate EV vehicle and share real time availability of charging points these were aimed at improving the pollution problem in New Delhi which is the most polluted city in the world. These have driven the adoption of public transport and help reduce motored vehicles on the roads.

Can i quote this experience in any of the criterion for the Global Talent visa especially in any of the following mandatory categories?

1. You led the growth of a non-profit organisation or social enterprise with a specific focus on the digital technology sector, as evidenced by reference letter(s) from leading industry expert(s) describing your work, or as evidenced by news clippings or similar evidence.

2. Outside of your normal day-to-day job role, you established, led or were a senior contributor to a large technology-led industry initiative, evidenced through reference letter(s) from global senior project executives.

Also, the certificate for this work will be issued can be issued the President of the the policy think-tank of the Delhi Government who is a generalist? Or should it come from the IT department in the government? Also should the person issuing the certificate also need to be recognised digital expert? Please guide, your help will be really appreciated!

Were you paid for this work as a consultant?

Hi @Francisca_Chied, No I was working as a volunteer.

1 Like

Hi @Francisca_Chiedu, can you please clarify if that is acceptable or not. I am not sure if being a unpaid volunteer is a good or bad thing? Your guidance will be really appreciated.

It is ok if you were not paid, you need to show that it was done outside your immediate employment.

Clear, thank you @Francisca_Chiedu !

1 Like