Please help review my exceptional promise application

Hello.

Background
I am looking to apply for the Exceptional Promise category. I currently run an insurtech company. I used to run a cleantech company. I have a Master’s in Technology Entrepreneurship from University College London. I have taken up a new role in London as a Special Project Associate for a VC where I’ll be leading the set up of a venture studio for idea stage UK startups.

Mandatory Criteria - Show they have been recognised as having potential to be a leading talent in the digital technology sector in the last 5 years
MC 1 - I was shortlisted for the next cohort of popular UK accelerator, Entrepreneur First. Evidence: Email screenshots.
MC 2 - My insurtech startup was invited to the selection process of Techstars (we didn’t eventually get in). Evidence: email screenshots; meeting screenshots of virtual meeting Techstars team.
MC 3 - University College Masters in Technology Entrepreneurship. Evidence - my student portal showing courses (e.g. product development etc); letter from UCL selecting me for a trip to Silicon Valley; email from Silicon Valley VCs expressing interest in my startup after pitches; pictures at popular companies and landmarks in San Francisco (LinkedIn, Apple etc)
MC 4 - Got to the finals of a hackathon organised by a bank in Nigeria. Evidence - emails and WhatsApp screenshots validating my participation; images from the hackathon
MC 5 - Was admitted into a highly selective UK startup matching programme, Jumpstart (less than 1% acceptance rate). Evidence - email screenshots of selection process; offer letter from company.
MC 6 - led my startup to the Microsoft for Startups Accelerator programme. Was invited to selection process of Founders Factory. Evidence - email screenshots

Optional Criteria 1 - At least 1 example of proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field
OC 1 - Organised an Innovation Hub in my university. Evidence - pictures of me addressing participants with slides in background; picture with team on demo day
OC 2 - Authored a book on computing in secondary school (10 years ago). Said book was recognised by the Nigerian Minister of Education. Evidence - images of front and back cover of book; picture with Minister with Nigerian Minister of Communication

Optional Criteria 2 - At least 1 example of significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder or employee of a product-led digital technology company
OC 1Insurtech startup - my contribution to startup efforts. Evidence - screenshots of process flow authored by me; emails with fintech partners and investors
OC 2 - Insurtech startup incorporation certificate and share breakdown document

Recommendations
R 1 - Cofounder of cleantech startup based in Silicon Valley. Raised $10m. Oxford MBA, Stanford PhD, Forbes 30 under 30.
R 2 - Founding partner of early stage venture capital firm. Senior business development manager at AWS and former Google startups head.
R 3 - Founder of another insurtech startup. Raised $4m.

Many thanks for your help! :pray:t5:

@Francisca_Chiedu

1 Like

Your mandatory criteria are mostly evidence of invitation to participate in an accelerator program, I don’t think it is sufficient. Aside the accelerator programmes what other evidence do you have for the mandatory criteria.

You also don’t have evidence for innovation. What is your exact impact in the startup?
Overall, you do not have sufficient evidence to meet the criteria. You need to show evidence of your contribution outside work.

1 Like

In addition to @Francisca_Chiedu’s points, your book written 10 years ago, doesn’t work, as it is not within the TechNation’s validity window of 5 years.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. Is it okay to use the same letter of recommendation as one of my evidences?

Endorsement Received.

Stage 1 Application Submission: 19th Feb 2023
Endorsement Received: 21st Feb 2023

Category - Exceptional Promise Business Category

Mandatory Criteria - Show they have been recognised as having potential to be a leading talent in the digital technology sector in the last 5 years

1. Entrepreneur First - emails showing I was headhunted for the upcoming cohort of Entrepreneur First
  2. Jumpstart - Was admitted into a highly selective UK startup matching programme, Jumpstart (less than 1% acceptance rate). Emails showing my acceptance to Jumpstart. Also attached an offer letter from my company
  3. UCL - my student portal showing courses (e.g. product development etc); letter from UCL selecting me for a trip to Silicon Valley; email from Silicon Valley VCs expressing interest in my startup after pitches; pictures at popular companies and landmarks in San Francisco (LinkedIn, Apple etc)
  4. Hackathon - Got to the finals of a hackathon organised by a bank in Nigeria. Evidence - emails and WhatsApp screenshots validating my participation; images from the hackathon
  5. Accelerators - Images showing my participation in the selection processes of Techstars, Founders Factory, Microsoft for Startups etc.

Optional Criteria 2 - At least 1 example of proof of recognition for work beyond the applicant’s occupation that contributes to the advancement of the field
6. Innovation Hub - organised an Innovation Hub in my university. Evidence - pictures of me addressing participants with slides in background; picture with team on demo day; letter from Google validating support we received during programme
7. Book authorship - authored a book on computing in secondary school (10 years ago). Said book was recognised by the Nigerian Minister of Education. Evidence - images of front and back cover of book; picture with Minister with Nigerian Minister of Communication

Optional Criteria 3 - At least 1 example of significant technical, commercial or entrepreneurial contributions to the field as a founder or employee of a product-led digital technology company
8. Insurtech startup - my contribution to startup efforts. Evidence - screenshots of process flow authored by me; emails with fintech partners and investors; chats validating my efforts to partnerships, sales, biz dev efforts
9. Insurtech startup incorporation - Insurtech startup incorporation certificate and share breakdown document
10. Cleantech startup - evidence showing my contribution to cleantech startup efforts.

Recommendations - same as above

Lessons

1. it is your story - so please own it, articulate it and tell it
  2. get one or two alumni to review your application
  3. take your recommendations seriously - draft the letters if possible
  4. APPLY - you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take. take a bet on yourself

Best of luck…

5 Likes

Congratulations @aliko

1 Like

Wow, congratulations

Congratulations @aliko is it still worth applying post 25 March’23 as it’s close to the Technation operational closure and recent news of staff layoffs. Or should wait for new announcement of endorsing body and apply smoothly without hurrying as LOR itself takes time for getting Docusign

Congratulations @aliko

@karrystewart Yes, it is worth it. TN has said they would keep accepting applications “till further notice”

Hi. Could you please clarify 2 things

1. Did you get into the next cohort of Entrepreneur First or you get through the stages and did not get in at the final stage
  2. When u mentioned selection stages. We’re you part of the panel that chose the next cohort or you went through the selection stages
    Many Thanks
    @aliko
  1. I went through the stages but dropped out of the interviews (because it wasn’t what I wanted)
  2. I went through the selection stages

Ok. Thanks for your prompt reply. I am also applying on the exceptional promise business route.
I got to final selection stages for antler and zinc. I didn’t know I could use that in my application until I saw you post.
@aliko